Rain slows local business, floods Melting Moments

Rain has forced students to stay indoors, dampening the sales of local businesses, owners said.

At California Juice Company, 549 E. Grand River Ave., Sunday’s wet weather forced sales down by about 66 percent from a normal fall Sunday, said Meghan Dennis, one of the store’s owners.

“What we’re selling is very dependent on the weather,” Dennis said. “Cold drinks don’t draw as many people in this weather.”

Jen Kitzman, assistant manager of 21st Century Comics & Games, 515 E. Grand River Ave., said the rain as well as the rising gas prices have forced sales down slightly.

“Rain always slows business at least somewhat,” Kitzman said. “There’s hardly a rainy day where we don’t notice the rain.”

Flooding in the back room of Melting Moments, 313 E. Grand River Ave., forced employees to mop and clean the ice cream store Sunday afternoon.

The flooding began around 1 p.m., with the exact cause of which is yet to be determined, said Lisa Belen, the store’s manager.

“We just want the rain to stop,” Belen said. “The sewer drain can’t handle that kind of amount.”

Share and discuss “Rain slows local business, floods Melting Moments” on social media.