Sharia courts single out British Muslim community

During the past half century, the Western world has, for the most part, prided itself on its acceptance of foreigners coming to its shores and respective cultures. The United States has gone so far as to declare itself a melting pot, where its immigrants’ cultures have a chance to meld and blend.

This process isn’t perfect. The State News — and this very page — has noted recently how foreigners and other minority cultural groups still have a tendency to separate themselves and socialize mainly only within the group. Still, this chosen isolation remains unofficial.

In the United Kingdom, the separation has finally become part of law. Recently and quietly, the government has given Islamic Sharia courts, presided over by religious leaders, the power of law in certain civil matters. Muslims involved in disputes over things such as divorce, inheritance and even domestic violence issues can turn to these courts instead of the government — but only if all sides agree to it.

Does this affect MSU students in any real way? Not really, except it gives an opportunity for us to step back and examine the way the world is progressing. By observing what is happening there, we can gain insight into the way we handle our differences.

Many would point to the fact that Britain — with the Church of England as its official state religion — doesn’t have the history of separation of government and religion the United States has.

What many don’t realize is although people might rattle the phrase separation of church and state off by rote, the reality is it’s not exactly codified in our laws.

It’s conceivable for something similar happening on a state level, or possibly on a federal level, but only if every religion is given the chance to set up its own system, with no religion given preference over another.

Although this measure may be taken with the idea that a fellow Muslim would be better equipped to understand the cultural background of certain disputes, the fact remains that all this does is further separate a group from the general population. Already, the measure seems to be creating further resentment and distrust.

It’s especially troubling that it’s Muslims who are removing themselves — and most definitely not because of the nature of their religion.

Rather, given the culture of fear and resentment against Muslims that has irrationally sprung up in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the London bombings, one would think they’d be taking measures to better integrate themselves and show they’re just like anyone else, rather than asking for special consideration in certain matters.

Muslims respond to critics of the courts by pointing out that Jewish people have had similar state-sanctioned courts in Britain for more than 100 years now. That might be true, but it doesn’t change the fact it’s a bad idea.

All this does is serve to sever a national identity. If things like this are allowed to propagate, the nation will become the equivalent of a group of distant roommates who barely interact with one another, rather than family members who care and think about one another.

So yes, this might not directly affect us, but it does raise some important questions. Let’s hope we can find the right answers when the time comes.

Share and discuss “Sharia courts single out British Muslim community” on social media.