Bringing down the Big House!

Ringer's big game leaves Michigan feeling blue; Spartans win at Michigan for first time since 1990

Junior wide receiver Blair White, left, evades Michigan junior linebacker Jonas Mouton during a 50-yard touchdown reception. The Spartans won, 35-21.

Photo by Jeana-Dee Allen | The State News

Ann Arbor — Six straight losses to Michigan — over.

Eight consecutive losses at Michigan Stadium since 1990 — over.

Snarky putdowns of “little brother” and guarantees of victory against MSU — over.

The Spartans (7-2 overall, 4-1 Big Ten) rode a near-flawless performance from senior quarterback Brian Hoyer and nearly 200 rushing yards from senior running back Javon Ringer to a 35-21 win Saturday in a fiery battle before more than 110,000 fans at Michigan Stadium.

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio received a Gatorade bath, Spartans fans echoed alternating chants of “Go Green, Go White” and proud Spartans banged on the once-hallowed walls of Michigan Stadium following the program’s first win over the Wolverines since 2001.

Dantonio, who often quotes former MSU head coach George Perles’ one-game-at-a-time mantra of “they all count one,” admitted after the game that “this one counts more than just one.”

“It’s big for this program,” said Dantonio, who is now 1-1 as MSU’s head coach against U-M (2-6, 1-3). “When we first came here as a staff, we pointed to this football game as a rivalry game. I have always believed that.”

In what seemed to be an all-too-familiar scene given recent letdowns against U-M, the Spartans entered the fourth quarter tied 21-21 with momentum on the side of the underdog Wolverines.

Two turnovers in U-M territory and three missed field goals left the door open for a Wolverines victory, but the Spartans intercepted two passes, forced a punt and turned over the Wolverines on downs to shut them out in the fourth quarter.

MSU used a balanced attack to drive 82 yards for a 3-yard go-ahead touchdown by Ringer midway through the fourth quarter.

An interception of Michigan quarterback Steven Threet on U-M’s first play after the touchdown gave MSU the ball at the U-M 40-yard line.
Ringer took eight consecutive carries for 32 yards and three first downs before senior quarterback Brian Hoyer hit junior fullback Josh Rouse for a 7-yard touchdown pass on third-and-goal with three minutes remaining.

U-M drove to the MSU 28-yard line before turning the ball over on downs to end its comeback bid late in the fourth quarter.

Ringer finished with 194 yards and two touchdowns on 37 carries — the senior’s most impressive performance on the biggest stage of his career.

“It’s always good to beat Michigan and to win here, something we haven’t done in so many years,” said Ringer, who also broke a 64-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter. “Being able to go out our senior year with a victory over Michigan to, Lord willing, help a tradition of us beating those guys is great.”

Coaches were unsure whether Ringer would display the same explosiveness and durability that have become hallmarks of his All-America-caliber season after he went down with a hamstring injury during practice on Thursday.

Dantonio said prayers from those close to the program were answered as Ringer pounded out his sixth game of 30 carries or more this season.

Hoyer controlled the game from the pocket despite sometimes shaky protection, throwing for 282 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions and one fumble. He connected with former walk-on wide receiver Blair White, a junior, four times for 143 and a 61-yard touchdown pass on the Spartans’ first series.
The touchdown was the first of White’s career.

“(Offensive coordinator Don) Treadwell told us before the game, ‘We need to make a change in this rivalry. We need to make a change in this state,’” Hoyer said. “I think the state is probably more green today than it was yesterday.”

U-M freshman quarterback Steven Threet went 13-of-27 for 168 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions while junior running back Brandon Minor finished with 55 yards and one touchdown on 15 carries. Threet was constantly pressured by MSU’s defensive ends, particularly junior Trevor Anderson, whose three sacks allowed MSU defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi to call only a few blitzes.

“It’s stuff that we prepared for all week,” said Threet, who had thrown three picks entering Saturday’s game. “They played hard and you have to give them credit. In the second half, we just kept battling but it still goes back to too many mistakes.”

MSU continues conference play next Saturday with a noon home game against Wisconsin.

Share and discuss “Bringing down the Big House!” on social media.