Monday, April 29, 2024

Lerg ready to lead young icers to successful season

Hockey players sit on the ledge of the visitors bench while fellow teammates are interviewed Wednesday during Media Day at Munn Ice Arena.

With 11 freshmen on the roster, MSU head coach Rick Comley knows leadership is going to be crucial for his team this year.

And the man Comley trusts to take on the role is senior goaltender Jeff Lerg — whom Comley named captain during the offseason.

Thus far, Comley has been impressed with Lerg’s ability to motivate the freshmen and help them become accustomed to the MSU program and style of play.

Lerg’s presence has been especially felt by freshman goaltender Drew Palmisano.

Palmisano was brought in by Comley this year for one main reason: to pick the brain of the veteran between the pipes.

“So far (playing under Lerg) has been a blessing,” Palmisano said Wednesday at MSU Media Day at Munn Ice Arena. “Jeff is such a great guy on and off the ice. I’ve already learned a lot from him.”

Lerg said Palmisano will step up after his departure and be one of the premier goaltenders in the CCHA.

“He moves well in the net and he’s real smooth in there,” Lerg said. “He’s kind of like the new NHL goaltender with the smooth butterfly. But I just try to set a good example on working hard and trying to stop every puck in practice.”

Lerg isn’t just working with his fellow goaltender, he is doing his best to set an example for the young team by being more vocal than in the past.

“I just want to bring a good MSU mentality (to the freshmen),” Lerg said. “I stress going out and working hard and doing things the right way. I’m just trying to set them up in a good position, but it’s up to them to work hard and adapt to the game.”

Scoring by committee

After losing the entire first line from last season, goals are going to be tough to come by for the Spartans.

To combat the Spartans’ loss of players, Comley knows players who haven’t stepped up in the past are going to need to find a way to light the lamp.

“We are going to need a bunch of guys to get 10 or 12 goals,” Comley said.

Comley is going to be looking all across the board to find offense, but Comley expects freshman forward Daultan Leveille to find the back of the net for the Spartans.

Leveille is used to being relied on to score goals and he’s comfortable with the role.

“I don’t really feel the pressure,” he said. “Scoring comes with time and you learn to play with your linemates and to develop as a team. Everyone develops at different paces, but hopefully we can always produce.”

With a class of 11 freshmen, which Comley says are going to receive a good share of playing time at the beginning of the season, the veteran players are having to earn their spots.

“Upperclassmen see that it just isn’t automatic they are going to move into the top three lines,” Comley said. “They know there is talent and (the freshman) are nipping at them.”

Share and discuss “Lerg ready to lead young icers to successful season” on social media.