MSU athletes involved in weekend fight

A fight involving MSU athletes at a Center Street house sent one MSU athlete to the hospital Sunday morning.

East Lansing police Lt. Kevin Daley said “three, possibly four victims” suffered injuries during a fight involving “multiple” suspects at about 1 a.m. Sunday at a house on the 100 block of Center Street. Some of the suspects involved are members of the MSU athletics program, Daley said.

“We’re still trying to determine who got assaulted and who did the assaulting,” Daley said.

Daley said one unidentified individual left a house party at the residence and later returned with several other suspects, instigating multiple fights throughout the house.

One victim was sent to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital with undisclosed injuries and remained hospitalized Monday evening, Daley said. WLNS TV-6 reported that the individual hospitalized was sophomore A.J. Sturges, a defenseman for the MSU hockey team. A hospital spokesperson said Monday evening that Sturges was in fair condition.

Sturges’ father, John, declined to comment on the reported incident when contacted Monday night.
Daley said police are in the process of interviewing witnesses and victims who might have been injured at the scene but left without receiving treatment.

Charges stemming from the fight have not been filed and would not be filed until the end of the week or early next week, Daley said.

MSU athletics officials released a statement Monday, saying, “We are aware of an off-campus incident that occurred early Sunday morning. The MSU Athletics Department is cooperating fully with East Lansing Police in its open investigation.”

MSU Associate Athletics Director for Communications John Lewandowski said it was too early to comment additionally on the incident because the investigation is still ongoing.

Share and discuss “MSU athletes involved in weekend fight” on social media.