Good samaritan bill needs support from police

Everyone has had one or two of those nights when someone they’re with gets too drunk and the question comes up: “Should we get help?”

ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, is working to make sure the answer shouldn’t have to be influenced by whether or not a minor in possession ticket will be issued to those who make the decision.

Passed at ASMSU’s Student Assembly meeting in October, the Good Samaritan bill proposes, provided that police agree, no minor in possession citations will be issued to a student assisting in an emergency situation involving alcohol.

It cannot be emphasized enough that this proposal is just that at this point — a proposal. This is not yet a law.

However, this is a great idea for the general health and safety of MSU students. There should never be a question about making a call to paramedics when a friend is in danger of alcohol poisoning because of the possible consequences of police involvement.

Even if police on campus and in the city do not cooperate with the proposal, students dealing with someone who could possibly be in a life-threatening situation shouldn’t think twice about involving health officials, regardless of possible legal consequences. Endangering someone’s health will cost far more than the fine and probation that comes with an MIP.

Just like it’s hard to imagine a police officer giving a ticket to a man who is speeding to get his pregnant wife to the hospital when she’s in labor, it seems difficult to punish someone who is trying to do the right thing by getting help for a friend whose life could possibly be in danger.

Though this seems like a good idea by ASMSU, it probably would have been a better idea to check with area police to see if such an ordinance is even feasible. By not going to the police first and discussing this possible ordinance with them, students may be surprised when they involve police in a health situation and are issued an MIP.

Students may also become confused when they are attending a party, club or bar in Lansing, Okemos or any of the other surrounding towns where this ordinance would not apply. In addition, if the Michigan State police or Ingham County Sheriff’s Department were to be involved, the law would not apply to them since they operate outside the jurisdiction of the MSU and East Lansing police.

ASMSU is MSU’s student government and has no legal authority, so its ruling could confuse students who believe the passage of this bill could now be a law.

MSU is not the only school trying to work with local authorities on a proposal like the Good Samaritan bill. Ohio State University has instituted a similar program to the proposed ordinance and Penn State University is working on its own version, but has yet to institute it.

Officials from Olin Health Center are reportedly open to the proposed ordinance, which is a good sign for the possible success of the bill being considered by MSU police and the ELPD. It is easier to see East Lansing police agreeing to adopt the proposal, as they seem to be more lenient on an MIP citation than their MSU police counterparts. It is important that both departments give ASMSU’s bill a great deal of thought, as this ordinance could save a life.

Share and discuss “Good samaritan bill needs support from police” on social media.