Friday, May 3, 2024

Carrying guns on campus could work if regulated

I recently read Kyle Bristow’s letter ‘Weapon-free’ campus makes student body an easy target, (SN 11/17), and I must agree with him.

By disarming students, MSU administration has made this campus a very “soft” target. The fact of the matter is: While the MSU police did respond appropriately to the possible threat of a gun, it took them 20 minutes to do so. In that time, a shooter could have taken many lives, and the best students could have done is throw books at him. However, if students were allowed to carry firearms on campus, a potential shooter would have had a lot less time for his murderous shooting rampage before someone shoots back.

I also believe students who carry concealed weapons should be mandated to register with MSU Department of Police and Public Safety and be legal carriers, requiring a federal background check, no history of mental illness, free of felonies and various misdemeanors (including retail fraud and malicious use of telephones), and take a safety course.

I guess the big issue is this: Would you rather allow your fellow students the opportunity to defend themselves, or a rampaging gunman as much time as it takes for MSU police to arrive?

I encourage anyone who has an interest in this issue, for or against, to read facts as interpreted by both sides. I recommend visiting concealedcampus.org.

Brian Wlosinski

human biology junior

Share and discuss “Carrying guns on campus could work if regulated” on social media.