MSU volleyball team clings to NCAA Tournament aspirations

It’s not over ‘til it’s over.

That’s the attitude the MSU volleyball team is taking into the last two weeks of the regular season.

The team (14-13 overall, 6-10 Big Ten) still holds an outside chance of making the NCAA Tournament with an at-large bid and is looking to take every opportunity to slip into the Big Dance.

“We’re looking at four teams that are within the top seven in the country in RPI and we’re looking at the fifth being 22,” head coach Cathy George said. “So we know that the road is tough in front of us, but the Big Ten is getting a lot of credibility, so it’s really important for us to fight our fight. I’m pretty pleased that we’re in a position that we can be talking about that, even with such a young crew.”

The young crew, with only three upperclassmen, is making its mark on the program. Four players on the team are making their move up the Spartans record books.

Sophomore libero Allyson Karaba is currently third on the MSU all-time digs list, getting to 444 balls this season.

“You need someone at that position, at the libero position, that has a ton of heart, that just fights and fights and fights,” George said. “And that’s Ally.”

Karaba, in her first season as a starter, is making the most of every set, coming in at third in all-time digs per set, while leading the team in digs in 24-of-27 matches. If she stays with her current pace she will finish second on the all-time list.

She is doing all this playing with fewer points in each set. Before the season, the NCAA switched the end point from 30 to 25.

“She learns all the time about why she should be where she should be,” George said. “She’s just so quick and athletic and so aggressive that good things happen for her. But as she gets to get to know the game more I’m expecting that this will get easier and easier for her.”

Junior middle blocker Vanessa King is fourth in single-season attack percentage, and third for her career in the category.

Two freshman are also setting records. Outside hitter Becca Zlabis is tied for 10th among MSU freshmen in kills and kills per set. Setter Natalie Emro is fourth all time among MSU freshmen in assists and assists per set.

“I definitely think it’s been a big change from the beginning of the season until now,” Karaba said. “I know it’s really hard coming out of high school and playing and starting in the Big Ten. That takes a lot out of them. They’ve definitely come through strong at the end of the season and even through the middle and they’ve been playing really well.”

The players still have time to move up the record books too, as they still have at least four games to play, the first two against No. 18 Purdue and No. 16 Illinois.

“I think both of them are in the top seven of the RPI; they’re pretty good,” George said. “It’s not going to be like we can go into this and play passive, we’re going to have to be totally aggressive if we want to advance or want to continue on. So it’s very important for us to play hard and go after it and be solid in every single part of the game.”

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball team clings to NCAA Tournament aspirations” on social media.