No. 5 men's basketball upset by Maryland

The Maryland men’s basketball team feasted on MSU like a three-course Thanksgiving meal Thursday, upsetting the No. 5 Spartans 80-62 at The Milk House in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Perhaps caught up in the spirit of giving, the Spartans (2-1 overall) put the game on a silver platter for Maryland by committing a season-high 15 turnovers, shooting a frosty 44 percent from the free throw line and getting outrebounded for the second time in three games.

Guard Greivis Vazquez and forward Dave Neal scored 17 points each for Maryland (4-0), who shot a sizzling 9-for-20 from 3-point land. Guards Adrian Bowie and Eric Hayes added 13 apiece for the Terrapins.

Senior guard Travis Walton shouldered the scoring load for MSU with a career-high 17 points while sophomore guard Durrell Summers added 10. Walton and Summers were the only players who finished in double figures for the Spartans, who shot a season-low 42 percent from the field.

Starting guards Chris Allen and Kalin Lucas combined for just 11 points on 5-for-21 shooting from the field and 1-for-6 from the stripe. They appeared to be bothered in their matchups with Vazquez and Hayes, who enjoyed considerable height advantages over their counterparts.

Forward Raymar Morgan, who was looking for his third straight 20-point game to begin the season, fell wildly short of those aspirations. The junior was saddled in foul trouble from beginning to end, mustering just four points in 14 minutes. He also committed two turnovers.

Morgan received an earful from MSU head coach Tom Izzo after getting whistled for his fourth foul just two minutes into the second half after MSU had worked its way back from an eight-point first half deficit to take 40-37 lead.

With Morgan exiled to the bench, the Terrapins went on a 22-7 scoring surge to build a commanding 59-47 lead with 10:12 left in the game. Izzo finally summoned Morgan from the bench, but the Canton, Ohio native couldn’t stop the bleeding.

MSU and Maryland exchanged the lead eight times in the first half before Maryland broke through with an 11-2 scoring run to take a 27-18 lead with 8:37 left in the half. MSU brought momentum into the second half when Walton hit a buzzer-beating jumper to cut Maryland’s lead to 37-34 at halftime.

Thursday’s loss drops MSU to the consolation bracket of the Old Spice Classic, where it will play the loser of the game between No. 9 Gonzaga and Oklahoma State. Tip-off is at 8 p.m. Friday.

Share and discuss “No. 5 men's basketball upset by Maryland” on social media.