Same-sex couples ask for equality

Chad Powell

When I came to college about three years ago, I was extremely different than I am now.

Anyone will tell you college is a time when you’re supposed to find yourself, slowly transforming into the individual you want to be and having the courage to stand up for the things you hold close to your heart.

Three years later, this is where I find myself:

First and foremost, I am a man who is attending MSU, just like you, to further myself in society.

Secondly, I am an American. Each individual has a different idea of what being an American means. To me, being an American means having the ability to live my life the way I choose, pursuing whatever dreams and ambitions I have, regardless of how certain groups in society feel, and being free from oppressive restrictions on the way I choose to live my life.

Thirdly, I am gay. Yes, I like men.

Every experience, however small, makes an impression upon us — shapes us, bends us and pushes us.

As a freshman, and still in the “closet” to many of my friends, life was a constant struggle. It’s like living with a split personality, learning to switch one on and one off when appropriate.

This uneasy feeling of not knowing who will treat you differently when they finally know the real you is like a time bomb ticking in the back of your head.

The recent passage of Proposition 8 in California brought about the same feelings. It’s like I’m looking into a glass box that holds everything my little heart desires, but it’s snatched away at the last second. A lot has been demanded from both sides — from those who oppose same-sex marriage for religious reasons and those who show support for it — but there is only one thing I want: Acceptance.

Being able to walk down the street and not have parents cover their children’s eyes as I walk by holding the hand of the man I love is all that I ask.

Being able to have dinner with a significant other and not be harassed or laughed at because we like candlelit dinners at fancy restaurants, just like any other couple, is all that I ask.

While living in the dorms my sophomore year, I was subject to rude and extremely harmful banter, like having, “There are two fags on this floor and they’re both going to hell!” written on the wall outside my door. Eliminating hateful acts like these is all that I ask.

Being respected and acknowledged as an important and diverse part of society who, just like any other group of individuals, has the ability to bring something new to the table, is all that I ask.

I want to be able to get a job anywhere and not have to hide my outgoing and sometimes flamboyant personality or the fact that the person I love at home isn’t a woman.

I want to have the chance to look forward to raising children who will be loved unconditionally, even if they’re not biologically my own, and raised to know they can achieve anything if they put their minds to it and that being “different” is completely acceptable.

Instead of having parents who consider me a disappointment because of my sexuality, I wish they would embrace and love me for who I am.

And when I fall madly in love, I want to be acknowledged by society as the husband of this incredible man.

I should be able to walk into a hospital and comfort the one I love in his time of need.

As Americans, we are so quick to forget that back in 1967, 17 states, or roughly one-third of the United States, had laws banning interracial marriage. Interracial couples simply wanted a chance to express their love through marriage like any other couple in the country, and that’s the same desire the gay community has today.

All I ask for is to have all the rights that were promised to me as an American.

I, Chad Michael Powell, want the chance to make a marriage work, not to take away from yours, but to fulfill my need to find this life-altering love that everyone strives for.

Chad Powell is the State News design editor. Reach him at powell66@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Same-sex couples ask for equality” on social media.