Spartans hoping not to overlook rivals U-M, Ohio State

Momentum isn’t something the MSU volleyball team has had for a while.

Heading on the road this weekend for games against No. 19 Michigan and Ohio State, the team is looking to build on the last two weeks, where it beat then-No. 25 Wisconsin, Indiana and took No. 1 Penn State to the brink in two sets.

In fact, the last time MSU played U-M, it used the momentum from a nine-game winning streak to defeat the then-No. 21 Wolverines 3-1 at Breslin Center.

But head coach Cathy George is warning her team not to get big heads just because it has already beaten both of this weekend’s opponents earlier this year.

“They’re going to be the wounded bear and we’re going to be the happy camper,” George said. “If you have that type of attitude it usually doesn’t work well.”

The Wolverines have won their last three matches and six of the last eight while Ohio State has only has two conference wins both against Northwestern.

“Both of those teams have improved since the last time we played, and we need to go after it because it is a great opportunity,” George said. “However, it is on the road. And any time you go on the road you have to steal it. You can’t expect to go into a place and hand it over just because the first weekend of Big Ten play we happened to go 2-0. So we’re going to have to go in there and earn those wins if in fact we can get them.”

Share and discuss “Spartans hoping not to overlook rivals U-M, Ohio State” on social media.