Saturday, May 4, 2024

Spartans rebound against Cowboys

Raymar Morgan scored a season-high 29 points off the bench and three other Spartans scored in double figures, as the No. 5 MSU men’s basketball team defeated Oklahoma State 94-79 Friday at the Old Spice Classic at the Milk House in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

The Spartans, who lost 80-62 to Maryland in Thursday’s tournament-opening game, shot a season-high 60.3 percent from the field, including 5-of-10 from 3-point territory.

Guard Terrel Harris scored 21 points to pace the Cowboys, who MSU head coach Tom Izzo characterized before the tournament as one of the most athletic teams he’s seen.

Morgan, who was stymied by foul trouble and scored just four points against Maryland, was an impressive 9-for-11 from the field. The junior also had four rebounds and two assists in his fourth career came off the bench.

Senior guard Travis Walton continued to flash a hot scoring hand for the Spartans, tallying 16 points to match the career-high he set Thursday. Senior center Marquise Gray and sophomore guard Kalin Lucas added 12 points each for the Spartans. Lucas also had a game-high nine assists.

Turnovers, free throw shooting and rebounding, areas that plagued the Spartans against Maryland, were cause for concern for Oklahoma State on Friday. The Cowboys committed 16 turnovers, shot 60 percent from the stripe and were outrebounded 34-24.

Poor shooting and a rash of turnovers buried MSU into an early 14-7 hole, but the Spartans dug out with a 12-0 scoring run to take a 19-14 lead midway through the half.

Morgan, who entered the game with 16:50 left in the half, led MSU with nine points in the period. The Spartans led 44-29 at the break.

Morgan continued his dominance in the second period, scoring 20 points to keep MSU ahead comfortably. Oklahoma State failed to get within 10 points the rest of the game.

MSU concludes the Old Spice Classic at 12:30 p.m. Sunday, playing Wichita State.

Share and discuss “Spartans rebound against Cowboys” on social media.