YouVote event brings students together for election party

Students who organized and attended the election party hosted by the University Activities Board and YouVote give their opinions about what it would mean if their preferred candidate won.

YouVote partnered with the University Activities Board on Tuesday night to create an environment where students could hang out with friends while awaiting the results of the presidential election.

YouVote is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to educating voters and encouraging students to exercise their right to vote. With blank maps and crayons, students followed which states each candidate won. Flip charts and white boards also were available in the front of the room for those who wanted to crunch numbers.

“We just thought it would be fun to bring the whole student body together on a big night … and I think having all of us students together just makes it an even bigger moment,” said Melissa Beard, public relations representative for YouVote. “I just hope students realize what a big moment this is in history … so I am extremely excited to be a part of this.”

Beard said this election shows students care about what is going on, and she said it will be unforgettable.

After Barack Obama was declared the winner, Eric Bowers was speechless. The English freshman and first-time voter was happy he had the opportunity to take part in an election of this magnitude.

“McCain supporters will be bitter but they’ll have to take a step back and realize what’s really happening in America,” Bowens said. “It really hasn’t even sunk in yet, but I’m really pleased — not just that my preferred candidate was elected — but to hear the turnout of voters in record numbers. Congrats to Obama.”

Alex Henderson, also an English freshman, identified with his friends’ feelings of being stunned.
“It’s the first time I’ve felt like my life has intersected with a point in history,” he said. “It’s one of those things we’re going read about in textbooks, and for the first time I feel really patriotic,” Henderson said. “If (Obama) just keeps his word about being a candidate of the people, and somebody who unites and stands for hope, I think people will go along with him because that’s how he got to where he is.”

Jake Lestan, director of spirit and traditions for UAB, said he hopes students gain awareness of the U.S. political system after attending the event. Lestan said it was great to see such a huge increase in young voters.

Lestan, a McCain supporter, added that he thinks McCain would have brought a new perspective to the White House, especially with the female perspective of his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

“I think Obama set up a really great model for future candidates to follow — both Republicans and Democrats — to really reach out to the young voters because we make up a huge population,” Lestan said. “I think had the Republican Party had enough steam gong towards the young vote, I think we’d see a bigger toss-up because, at the end of the day, it’s the issues that really matter.”

Share and discuss “YouVote event brings students together for election party” on social media.