Men's basketball knocks off Oakland

Travis Walton, a guard, keeps his eyes on the ball while defending against an Oakland player during the first half of Saturday’s game at The Palace of Auburn Hills. Walton scored 14 points, helping the Spartans to their 82-66 victory.

Auburn Hills — Kalin Lucas could get used to playing in this environment.

One year after he tapped the hardwood at The Palace of Auburn Hills for a career-high 18 points and six assists against Texas, the sophomore point guard shined brightly in the limelight again, finishing with 15 points and six assists for the No. 11 Spartans, who defeated Oakland 82-66 Saturday night.

“I thought Kalin Lucas played his best game as a Spartan,” MSU head coach Tom Izzo said. “That might not show on the stat sheet to you, but he just kind of controlled the game.”

Lucas, who played his high school ball just miles down the road at Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, was nearly flawless in his execution of MSU’s offense. He finished 4-of-8 from the field, including 3-of-4 from behind the arc. More impressively, he committed just one of his team’s 13 turnovers.

“I just came out here and played hard, competed, and just ran the team,” said Lucas, who agreed with Izzo that it was the best game of his collegiate career. “That’s one thing coach looks for me to do, just to run the team and be solid. I just had a solid game today.”

Goran Suton led a well-balanced MSU attack with 16 points and nine rebounds in his first start since Nov. 19, Travis Walton scored 14 and Durrell Summers added 10 off the bench for the Spartans, who shot 51.6 percent from the field.

Center Keith Benson finished with a game-high 20 points and guard Erik Kangas added 15 for the Golden Grizzlies (8-7 overall), who were crushed 38-22 on the glass. Oakland shot 44 percent from the field.

“We’re very disappointed in the way the game ended,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe said. “We all felt that we could win, I think we still feel we can win … it just wasn’t meant to be.”

MSU (9-2) opened the game with a 9-0 run, but committed turnovers on three straight possessions and missed seven straight shots from the field, paving the way for Oakland to go on a 15-0 scoring run and take a six-point lead.

But MSU stopped the bleeding in impressive fashion. Summers hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer, Lucas scored six straight points and Suton hit a layup during an 11-0 surge that saw the Spartans take a 20-15 lead.

Kangas and forward Dan Waterstradt ended Oakland’s funk with consecutive 3-pointers that drew the Grizzlies closer, but the Spartans nailed four straight triples and Summers threw down a scintillating alley-oop from Lucas to give the Spartans a 44-30 halftime lead.

The Spartans closed the half on an 18-4 run.

After being held scoreless in the first, Marquise Gray spurred MSU’s offense in the second half, scoring seven points in seven minutes to help stave off Oakland’s comeback attempt.

An improved defensive effort was also instrumental in MSU’s second half success, as the Spartans limited the Grizzlies to just two 3-pointers after they made five from long distance in the first half.

“Our complete focus as a team was there,” Morgan said. “Guys came to play and we did a great job on the defensive end.”

After scoring two points in the opening period, Morgan came alive in the second half. Playing aggressively inside, he scored three baskets and became the 38th player in MSU history to eclipse the 1,000 career points milestone.

“It feels good,” Morgan said. I didn’t know until the after game. It’s an accomplishment, but i just want to keep winning.”

Despite playing arguably its best game of the season, MSU survived another poor outing from perhaps of its most dynamic offensive weapon.

Chris Allen, who against Texas was held scoreless for the first time since Feb. 28, finished with just three points. Playing with athletic tape on his left (non-shooting) hand, the sophomore guard shot 1-for-6 from the field.

The Spartans will open the conference season on New Year’s Eve at No. 24 Minnesota (10-0). Tip-off is scheduled for noon.

Share and discuss “Men's basketball knocks off Oakland” on social media.