Police seek missing MSU student's records

*Lueth*

Police have executed warrants for phone and financial records of Krista R. Lueth, a 34-year-old MSU student who has been missing for more than three weeks.

“We go where the case takes us; we are still interviewing everyone,” Michigan State Police Sgt. Kevin Mark said. “Just doing normal police work, so we have executed warrants on the missing person case.”

It is standard procedure to review phone records, bank and credit card statements in missing person cases. Police are looking to see who contacted Lueth, if she contacted anyone since her disappearance and if she still is spending money, Mark said.

“We contact everyone that deals with the financial stuff to make sure what’s on the reports is factual,” he said.

Lueth, who is pursuing her second bachelor’s degree in horticulture, was last seen by her neighbor and friend of eight years, Rick Stilgenbauer. Stilgenbauer has rented a unit below Lueth’s in a home on the 1100 block of Eureka Street in Lansing for the past five months.

Lueth’s apartment looked as though she had left but was intending to return, he said.

“It looked like she just stepped out to get cigarettes or a loaf of bread,” Stilgenbauer said.

Police are still interviewing anyone who might have come into contact with Lueth since her disappearance, he said.

Lueth’s father, Roy Lueth, 67, said his role in the investigation has decreased after a whirlwind two weeks during the initial stages of the investigation. During that time, he drove from his home in St. Clair to Lansing every day to give interviews and information to police, he said.

“Since that time, they’ve had to do their investigation,” Roy Lueth said. “I check in with them and am seeking counseling with people down here. I see my son, talk to my other daughter — I’m just trying to keep it together.”

Krista Lueth’s friends and family said her apartment showed she had no intention of leaving.

A pot of mold-covered food was left on her stove when Stilgenbauer and two other friends entered the apartment to look for her.

The hardest part of the whole experience is simply the lack of noise coming from above his apartment, Stilgenbauer said.

“It’s dizzily quiet, I’m used to the hustle and bustle of people living upstairs and that’s ceased,” he said. “And now it’s completely quiet. It’s a morbid quiet.”

Share and discuss “Police seek missing MSU student's records” on social media.