Campus safety concerns students, officers after 2 assaults

Two sexual assaults in two days are causing concern among law enforcement officers and students as police search for suspects in the crimes.

After a student reported being sexually assaulted Tuesday afternoon while walking along Hagadorn Road near Hubbard Hall, another assault was reported to MSU police Wednesday, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

The suspect in the Wednesday case reportedly told the victim he was seeking donations for the United Restoration Ministries, a church that does not have a location in the East Lansing area.

“If you don’t know who is at your door, then don’t answer,” McGlothian-Taylor said.

The victim was donating money to the suspect when he grabbed her and fondled her, police said. She pushed him out of the room and told him to leave, then called police. The alleged assault occurred at 5:55 p.m., McGlothian-Taylor said.

The suspect is described as a black male, aged 35-40, about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a stocky build. He was wearing a tan coat with a fur collar and blue jeans and carrying a black backpack.

Natalie Kahn, a family community services sophomore who lives in Holden Hall, saw the suspect in Wednesday’s assault leave the building and watched as police arrived at her dorm. She said she wasn’t surprised the man had committed a crime because he looked out of place in the dorm.

“She was going to get him money and he takes advantage of her,” Kahn said. “It’s absolutely awful.”

This incident came after a similar crime at about 6 p.m. Tuesday afternoon near Lot 30 on Hagadorn Road. A female student was walking to her vehicle in Lot 91 when three men approached her from the left, right and from behind. The suspects approaching from her sides put their arms around her shoulders while the suspect approaching from the back placed his hand on the victim’s breast. The suspects made obscene comments before running off.

The first suspect is described as a thin, white male with a fair complexion and was wearing a blue-and-white flat-brimmed cap. The second suspect is described as a thin, black male with a dark complexion, wearing blue jeans, a silver chain and a large, multicolored puffy jacket. The third suspect is a heavy-set, black male wearing black jeans and a black-and-gold leather jacket.

All the suspects were between 18 and 23 years old and between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall.

The victims in both crimes were not injured.

Kahn mentioned the security system employed by dormitories at the University of Michigan — where student ID cards are needed to enter buildings — as a possible solution. MSU is testing a similar system at Emmons Hall.

“I just think security should be heightened,” she said.

Director of Residence Life Paul Goldblatt could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Share and discuss “Campus safety concerns students, officers after 2 assaults” on social media.