City Council to discuss rezoning of E.L. land

Better design flexibility and parking options are two of several proposed changes to the Delta Triangle, an area of land along Louis Street that potentially could be rezoned for the creation of more multiple-student and multiple-family homes.

An ordinance that deals with the rezoning and redevelopment of 3.8 acres of land along Louis Street, Michigan Avenue, Delta Street and Elm Place, is up for discussion at tonight’s City Council work session, set for 7 p.m. in Courtroom 2 of the 54-B District Court, 101 Linden Street.

The ordinance allows for the redevelopment of older homes and the possible changing of building codes to keep up ?with the latest safety standards.

“When you’re dealing with fire extinguishers and smoke detectors … sometimes students tend to unhook fire detectors,” said Darcy Schmitt, East Lansing’s planning and zoning administrator. “There’s the capability for a lot of fatal fires, and the fire marshal likes to see the older units be redeveloped.”

Currently, the space is occupied by single-family houses and fraternity and sorority-type units, Schmitt said.

Despite the potential for more multiple-student and multiple-family homes in the area, only one redevelopment has been proposed thus far.

“There’s some brand-new multiple-family and multiple-student houses to the north, ?and a developer is looking to continue the process of ?multiple-family units,” Schmitt said.

In other business, the council is expected to rule on setting a Jan. 20 hearing date for the creation of an Industrial Development District, which would seek to provide tax breaks for industries looking to locate in East Lansing.

“We’re merely taking the first step to bringing businesses to East Lansing with incentives,” said Tim Dempsey, community and economic development administrator for East Lansing.

A public hearing for Ordinance 1212, which would allow owners with houses for sale to rent their property more ?easily, also is on the council agenda.

“We’re trying to make it possible for people to ?rent when property is for sale without going through a rigorous ?process,” said Howard Asch, director of code enforcement and neighborhood conservation for East Lansing.

Share and discuss “City Council to discuss rezoning of E.L. land” on social media.