Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Look to power plant to save energy on campus

The MSU Power Plant made a temporary change last week from burning coal to burning gasoline to generate power. The reason was simple — gasoline prices have fallen below coal prices and MSU is taking the opportunity to save money on energy costs. In the short term it makes sense to switch to gasoline, but we can’t help but think about MSU’s long-term energy problems.

MSU has improved its energy and environmental policies over the years, but most of its solutions have been low-cost, short-term fixes. MSU has found few concrete solutions to the major energy and environmental issues we face, and we can expect these problems to only get bigger with time. Officials have expressed interest in biofuels, but energy-efficient biofuels are still years away and MSU needs to make changes sooner rather than later.

So, if MSU policy makers are unsure where to start, why not start with the power plant?

The plant is still one of the biggest pollutants in the state and burns 250,000 tons of coal a year, which emits more than 70 different hazardous chemicals. Any other policy changes, no matter how environmentally friendly, will still be undermined by the effect of the power plant.

Demolishing the plant is not a viable option, because it’s a significant part of MSU’s ability to produce its own energy. But MSU officials should acknowledge that, yes, the power plant is a serious polluter and, yes, they are working to try and fix it.

Every penny that is saved from switching fuels this month should be used to help update the power plant and reduce its harmful emissions. It will be a symbolic gesture more than a financial solution, but the action will speak loudly. The money saved needs to go towards setting real deadlines to reduce emissions, not just empty promises. It’d be nice to hear MSU officials say, “We plan to reduce our emissions X percent by X date,” and send a message that the environment is a serious concern to this university.

MSU officials should not wait to take action. It’s understandable that it’s going to be difficult to make long-term financial decisions when Michigan has an unreliable economy, but if MSU is not going to start making changes now, then when? The auto companies have proven short term solutions only postpone the inevitable. Eventually, MSU is going to have to make real adjustments.

MSU prides itself on being one of the premier land grant universities in the country. So why wouldn’t MSU want to cater to a group of future students and staff who, by all indications, will have the environment as a main concern?

Not to mention, giant smokestacks that still say “MSC” don’t exactly give off the impression that we’re on the cutting edge of “new” energy.

Share and discuss “Look to power plant to save energy on campus” on social media.