MSU research can improve Detroit schools

There are no tuition costs for a new form of MSU education.

Detroit K-12 students will be getting an early MSU education through a new grant program, but regulations and thorough planning are necessary to ensure time and money are not wasted.

The Detroit-based Skillman Foundation chose the MSU College of Education to head its Good Schools Resource Center, which will work with Detroit schools to improve their performance.

The two-year program is funded by a nearly $2 million grant and will be used for public, private, religious and charter schools in Detroit.

For a state that has endured so much plight in recent years, Detroit schools have rarely seen light. By using the College of Education’s resources, there is hope that while this state loses jobs, it can still create thinkers.

There needs to be more than just hope, though. More than 15 MSU faculty and staff members will conduct seminars and workshops, interpret data and keep in contact with Detroit educators. But there needs to be a method of implementation.

Just because workshops and seminars are being held doesn’t mean the information will translate into results in the classroom.

If progress is the goal, then progress must be documented to establish accountability. Test scores, grade-point averages and dropout rates for participating schools must be made public knowledge.

Enforcement mechanisms must be instituted to ensure money is not going to waste and results are being achieved.

After being told to cut about $200 million from the 2009 budget, the last thing this state needs is to burn money.

This program will not solve Detroit’s education problems unless increased funding accompanies the initiative.

Given the state’s budget woes, it’s more likely the Lions will win next year’s Super Bowl than Detroit schools will see a major financial boost — but this illustrates the point that programs such as these usually face an uphill battle.

Detroit’s situation is exacerbated by old textbooks and decrepit classrooms that no amount of innovative teaching can overcome. If students are not getting new information to make them productive members of today’s workforce, teachers can do only much.

If effective, this program can do a lot for MSU. MSU is not like the University of Michigan in that it doesn’t have an overwhelming out-of-state portion of the student body, but the university can increase its diversity of ideas, backgrounds and outlooks by setting roots in Detroit.

Detroit seems to be overlooked because its schools often have not been able to provide the education MSU desires. If this program is a success, MSU will be much more visible in Detroit and the university will benefit.

Detroit needs a program like this. There is too large a disparity in resources and funds for suburban schools compared to Detroit, and its students have suffered as a result. If MSU can begin molding teachers, a college degree — maybe even one from MSU — can become a more realistic goal for Detroit students.

Share and discuss “MSU research can improve Detroit schools” on social media.