Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Proper etiquette still essential for students

Calling professors by their first name is uncomfortable for some, but an everyday occurrence for others. 

The informalities between students and faculty on campus might not last much longer as more professors are sticking to rules of good old-fashioned etiquette, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

The Lansing State Journal spoke to MSU professors who had a problem with students’ presumptions about student-teacher relationships and said that often students assume a friendly tone when it comes to communication, an assumption that is seen as unacceptable to many professors.

The professors are trying to teach students about proper etiquette in the classroom, which in many cases has been virtually forgotten.

It is becoming more common to receive guidelines from instructors at the beginning of the semester, outlining what is and what is not appropriate in class.

Most of us are used to the usual rules pertaining to Internet and cell phone use during class time, but maybe not proper e-mail etiquette.

Some professors will not respond to e-mails if the student does not address them correctly. In some cases, “Hi” is too informal.

In other cases, anything other than “Dear Professor X” is frowned upon. This might sound a little rigid to students who are used to calling professors and teaching assistants on their cell phones, but a change might be around the corner.

Some professors have no problem with students addressing them by their first name or joking around in class. However, it may be these faculty members who are causing the problems for their peers.

Normally, professors and other staff are not around to befriend students. There is a line, and crossing it can get a little awkward.

Boundaries are important to maintain, not only out of respect for the professor, but also for the other students in class.

If one student is used to treating a professor like a friend, it might be hard adjusting to a new set of rules.

If they decide to give out their cell phone numbers and act like friends, then kudos to them.

But faculty and staff are still authority figures that deserve respect.

Treating staff members with more respect might be beneficial in the long run. Recruiters who come to campus will look for a sense that students know how to act in front of professionals.

Telling them about your crazy weekend might be enjoyable but is not a smart move. Showing that you know how to interact on a more serious note will help improve your reputation and might even get you a job.

Everyone likes to come to class and not feel obligated to follow rules. No one wants to walk on eggshells around professors on a daily basis.

Following nitpicky e-mail etiquette could take a little getting used to and there is no doubt some complaints will arise.

With that in mind, do not be surprised if a new professor expects a little more out of students. While it might be as simple as not sending an e-mail after 2 a.m., try to be open to a few changes.

Even if it seems out of the ordinary, give professors a chance and a break.

Keep friendly time with actual friends and try to maintain a professional relationship with professors. It will pay off when this kind of respect is expected in the real world.

Share and discuss “Proper etiquette still essential for students” on social media.