Sunday, May 5, 2024

RHA approves spring semester budget

With more than $100,000 left over from last semester’s budget, the MSU Residence Halls Association hopes to present more concerts and improve existing programs.

The surplus, which is not uncommon, was due to some projects falling through, RHA President Mark Dobson said.

“Parts of it were larger-scale initiatives that we thought were going to get off the ground,” Dobson said. “A lot (of projects) were reallocated into this budget.”

On top of the remaining $103,984.64 from fall semester, RHA brought in $353,075 through its $25 tax on students living in residence halls. The spring semester budget was passed Wednesday, and $329,061.10 is available for programs.

“It’s going to allow us to do a lot of things. We take the budgeting process really seriously,” Dobson said. “It’s a real crucial time when we have to lay out what we want to do for the next half of a year.”

Dobson said the leftover money from last semester has been dispersed among each RHA office, and could be used to improve some of its programs.

“We’re looking into making some enhancements to already-existing programs including movie offices,” he said. “Our director of movie offices is looking for a way to be able to return movies when the movie offices aren’t open — a 24-hour return system.”

A larger project that Dobson is looking into is centralizing the weight rooms and fitness centers.

“There’s really no consistency at any of the weight rooms or fitness centers across campus,” he said. “If we make them all on the same page following basic principles, we can drive the price down and make it more affordable.”

Remaining consistent with last semester’s budget was the amount allocated to the special events office, which received $120,000 — more than any other department.

Anthony Carlo, RHA’s director of special events, said concert costs take up most of the $120,000, especially because more concerts occur in the spring rather than fall.

“We get more planning time and we also have the Sparty’s Spring Party, which is a big deal,” he said.

Some concerts that were planned for last semester had to be moved to this semester, such as Kings of Leon, who will perform tonight at Wharton Center.

“A lot of things happened later than we anticipated,” Dobson said. “Kings of Leon we thought we could get in earlier.”

The difficulty in securing an artist contributed to the leftover $103,984.64 from last semester, said Ian Person, RHA’s chief financial officer.

“It’s a pretty typical number,” he said. “The reason why that’s sometimes so large is the uncertainty involved with bringing people for concerts.”

Dobson hopes RHA can spend all of its allocated funds this semester.

“We’re going to look at ways this semester to enhance the fact that people spend that allocation and get those initiatives covered,” he said. “I think we will be able to accomplish quite a bit more.”

Share and discuss “RHA approves spring semester budget” on social media.