Student vigiliance crucial for safe campus

It can sometimes be difficult to feel safe on a 5,200-acre campus with 46,045 students.

With the potential to be surrounded by a number of strangers at any given point in time, there should always be cause for alertness. And with two separate alleged sexual assault cases occurring last Tuesday and Wednesday, students need to be even more aware of their surroundings.

There have been numerous sexual assault cases in recent years on and off campus, but last week’s incidents were peculiar in that they happened at 6 p.m. and 5:55 p.m., respectively, instead of the more common early morning or late hours of the weekend. Such events prove there is no time of day or night in which students should drop their guard.

The Wednesday case is especially frightening because it makes an ordinary situation dangerous. The suspect in that case was soliciting donations in Holden Hall for the United Restoration Ministries, a church without an East Lansing location. When the victim was collecting money for the suspect, he grabbed and fondled her.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said of Wednesday’s incident, “If you don’t know who is at your door, then don’t answer.” Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. Plenty of people canvass dormitories for worthwhile causes, such as registering to vote or gathering donations for charities. In a school with so many people, it’s almost impossible to know who is ordinary and who is malicious, who is trustworthy and who is dangerous. But it’s just as easy to pretend to be someone registering to vote as it is to be a parishioner at United Restoration Ministries.

MSU has been using a card-swiping system at Emmons Hall to prevent nonstudents from entering the hall, but a campus-wide card system would likely be a waste of money and resources. It is an ineffective and inefficient system, and money could be better spent elsewhere to improve safety.

One reason the card-swiping system doesn’t work is strangers could wait for another student to open a door and then walk into the building. The University of Michigan has a card-swiping system in all of its dormitories, but many people let strangers into the building if they are waiting outside.

Such a system merely offers the illusion of safety. It’s a safeguard that lacks any ability to crack down on the problem. Instead of throwing thousands of dollars at a card-swiping system, money can be put toward more security cameras, sufficient lighting in parking areas and campus walking areas and even more police officers in residence halls. These measures would not only help protect MSU students, but also would help catch and prosecute criminals.

It’s real people who commit crimes and real people who are the victims of crimes. Our safety should not rely on machines.

Share and discuss “Student vigiliance crucial for safe campus” on social media.