Sunday, April 28, 2024

Students, community members join in celebration of MLK Day

Students from all walks of life took part in commemoration events in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.’s work on Monday.

About 100 students and community members participated in the march from the Union to Beaumont Tower, honoring King’s life.

Tony Abe-pype, an intern for the College of Education, marched despite the cold temperature because he said it gave him a better understanding of King’s message.

“We don’t have dogs or police or fire hose and the cold is certainly something anyone can handle over those things,” Abe-pype said.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon participated in the march, as well as other local events, because of the historic importance of King and Inauguration Day today.

“Each generation of students have to put their own mark on this celebration, and this group of students has done that by keeping some of the things that tie the thread of the civil rights movement, the dream of Martin Luther King, and the march is one of those threads, that part of each generation,” Simon said.

Some members of the Graduate Employees Union also participated in the march to celebrate the work and accomplishments of King.

“We’re here to honor the memory of Dr. King, just as a great person and as someone who was really active in the civil rights movement, who really believes in the dignity of every working person,” said Elizabeth Pellerito, an English graduate student.

Elementary education senior Jessica Jones said she loved being involved in other community events and the march on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

“It’s a fun-filled day,” Jones said. “It’s a day on, not a day off.”

Share and discuss “Students, community members join in celebration of MLK Day” on social media.