Season over for players involved in U-M incident

Conboy

MSU head coach Rick Comley issued season-ending suspensions to two players following an incident Saturday when the MSU hockey team faced off against Michigan at Yost Ice Arena.

Comley suspended sophomore forward Corey Tropp and freshman forward Andrew Conboy after the two attacked U-M’s Steve Kampfer in the final minutes of U-M’s 5-3 win. Conboy tackled Kampfer to the ice from behind, and Tropp slashed Kampfer near the head and neck with his stick after Kampfer went down.

“What happened near the end of the game this weekend is not the way in which we want our hockey program represented,” Comley said in a prepared statement released Monday evening. Comley is scheduled to host his weekly press conference Tuesday afternoon.

“We cannot condone their actions. We felt that we had to send a strong message that this behavior will not be tolerated.”

In the statement, Comley said he wanted to make clear the incident was “an emotional, split-second action.”

“I do not want this to be portrayed that this was anything pre-meditated, or that any single player was ‘targeted,’” Comley said. “Their reaction, while inappropriate, was a split-second response that I know that they wish they could have back.”

The Central Collegiate Hockey Association released a statement supporting the suspension implemented by Comley.

“We feel that the measures taken by Michigan State are appropriate and consistent with the parameters of the sanctions that were being contemplated by the league,” CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos said.

MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said the university feels strongly that student-athletes “should have respect for the game, respect for their opponent and a commitment to fair play.”

“After conversations over the last two days with Rick Comley and CCHA Commissioner Tom Anastos and his staff, I fully support coach’s decision,” Hollis said. “I agree with Coach Comley that these were spontaneous, emotional actions carried out during a highly competitive game, but their actions were completely inappropriate and reflect poorly on our program.”

Kampfer was taken to the hospital following the game and was released Sunday. Doctors kept him in the hospital overnight on Saturday to run a series of tests, according to U-M athletic’s media relations department. Kampfer suffered a fractured skull in October after he was allegedly attacked by a U-M football player, and doctors wanted to ensure there was not a reinjury.

After Saturday’s game, Comley called Conboy and Tropp’s actions “cheap and uncalled for.”

If Kampfer clears concussion tests, he could play this weekend in the Wolverines’ home-and-home series against Notre Dame, according to U-M.

Conboy and Tropp both served time on the Spartans’ first line this season, accumulating five and seven points, respectively.

The Spartans (7-16-3 overall, 4-12-2-2 CCHA) currently are last place in the league. The scene Saturday was the second highly publicized incident involving the team this season. Several players were involved in a fight with members of the football team in late October in an off-campus house.

Share and discuss “Season over for players involved in U-M incident” on social media.