Budget cuts should not target education

There are plenty of places to make cuts in the state budget, and many of Gov. Jennifer Granholm’s suggestions make sense. But the cuts to education — the largest proposed by Granholm — will continue to impede the state’s chances at an economic recovery.

Granholm plans to cut $164 million in K-12 spending — including a reduction of $59 per pupil — and $100 million in higher education funding — including a 3 percent decrease to university operations.

Economic development experts have long championed education as the key to prosperity. By taking a machete to education funding, Granholm might as well be taking a page from third world countries’ development blueprints. The state will leave the No Worker Left Behind program, 21st Century Jobs Fund and funding for community colleges intact, as they are the cornerstones to Granholm’s job training and creation strategy. But there is no substitute for sound K-12 and higher education when it comes to creating and maintaining jobs.

Given the current credit crisis, this is yet another bad time to make higher education cuts. Universities will be forced to raise tuition, and with loans scarce — especially since the governor also plans on keeping just one state merit-based and one needs-based scholarship program — access to higher education will be even more restricted.

Granted, Granholm has made some sensible recommendations. She is not just trimming the fat on state expenditures — she’s giving it liposuction. Making cuts to corrections has been recommended by many analysts, and it’s a positive step that cuts have been made in that department. And although forfeiting the responsibility of the state’s wetlands to the Environmental Protection Agency could have an adverse effect, it’s good the state can admit it needs any federal support it can get. Ending financial support for trivial programs such as the state fair and the horse racing industry might not make a dent — maybe not even a scratch — but it shows the state is going through its budget carefully.

Reckless cuts to education, though, need to end. Such cuts are irresponsible because they will affect the state’s long term economic health. Although Michigan is enduring some of its worst times right now, these problems could reoccur with an uneducated work force. As we’ve seen, the days of manufacturing and not needing a college degree are ending. Not only will continued cuts to higher education make college less affordable, cuts to K-12 will make it less attainable.

It’s unfortunate the state has to eliminate the Department of History, Arts and Libraries and funding for state art grants, although a need to cut corners is understandable. Hopefully the Department of History, Arts and Libraries will be consolidated into another state department because, just like education, it seems all too easy to cut the arts. Many can benefit from the arts, including businesses and executives. But this is the shape of our state.

Share and discuss “ Budget cuts should not target education” on social media.