Cutting programs big loss, may be only option

Editor’s note: This article was corrected to fix a factual error.

It was only a matter of time before cuts would be made at MSU. The $9 million cut is pouring our thousands of majors through a filter. It’s going to hurt, but what programs will feel it the most?

If other small, unique programs follow the trend of the music therapy program, it may be the arts.

The College of Music submitted a moratorium, or freeze on admissions, for its music therapy program this month. The music therapy program is designed to provide musical healing for health patients and special needs individuals. This program is undoubtedly rare and undoubtedly special. The small enrollment and retirement of two professors were factors in the moratorium decision — the quality of the program was not. If moratoriums become more frequent, hopefully they are not focused in such a niche department again.

The unique programs at MSU, such as music therapy, are what make the university distinguished. Offering authentic degrees through rare programs allow our students to be equipped in their major, even if it may be a class of only 34 students. When students graduate with uncommon specializations, they may be more marketable when it comes time to find a job because they have skills others didn’t bother to look into and master.

The fact that MSU enables students to have not only a respectable diploma, but especially rare degrees, has helped build our reputation.

Now that money is scarce, we have to trim the fat. It seems too often that the fine arts are the first on the chopping block. In today’s fast-paced world, education programs demonstrate a clear focus toward science and mathematics. Cutting programs such as music therapy reiterates the assumption that math and science are more beneficial.

Unfortunately, cutting small programs sadly makes sense for the university. The unusual programs bring in less students and therefore less revenue for the university, and cutting them saves money.

In 2006-07, MSU spent 91.2 percent of its expenditures on science and engineering, according to the MSU Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies. Out of the $396 million spent, only $35 million was used toward nonscience and engineering purposes. It does not specify how much was spent on each department that falls under the general category of “nonscience and engineering.”

While the amount of money spent does not correlate to the overall worth of a department, the dollar amounts do not favor the arts.

This was the first moratorium, but MSU Provost Kim Wilcox told The State News he would not be surprised if there were more. It may be by chance that the music therapy program was the first to be bid farewell, but it would not be surprising to watch similar programs be dismissed. Regardless of the subject, the smaller programs should not be the first to go. Finding programs that are inefficient and lack improving results would be ideal to cut, but would be difficult to determine in the short amount of time that the university needs to make spending decisions.

When most students are trying to save their pennies, it’s easy to see how some may overlook the possible birth of a big problem. In the long run, the university will hurt without the small gems that make MSU great.

Share and discuss “Cutting programs big loss, may be only option” on social media.