Sunday, April 28, 2024

Assembly elects interim leader

ASMSU’s Academic Assembly approved a new interim chairperson and showed support for music therapy at a meeting Tuesday.

International relations senior Brad McDonald became the assembly’s interim chairperson after he was approved by a 19-1-1 vote.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

McDonald became chairperson after the previous chairperson, economics and political science senior Christopher Kulesza, resigned Feb. 17 after his performance was called into question.

“I’m just trying to keep stability,” McDonald said.

“I’m not going to start anything new, no new projects. Just try and keep things going.”

McDonald will hold chairmanship until Academic Assembly’s officer elections in April.

McDonald’s previous position as internal vice chairperson will be filled March 17 through an election.

Assembly members said they are confident McDonald will be able to fill the role.

“I think he is going to do a great job. He’s always been really involved in ASMSU and will do great,” said Ruba Farah, an Eli Broad College of Business representative.

Kulesza said he didn’t speak to McDonald before he resigned last week and the resignation came as a surprise.

“I was surprised, (but) I feel prepared for being the interim chairperson,” McDonald said following Kulesza’s resignation.

Kulesza said the position will require a lot of work on McDonald’s part.

“A lot has to be done for Academic Assembly to run at the same pace as it has,” he said.

ASMSU also unanimously approved a bill to advocate continuing the music therapy program in the College of Music.

“I’m glad they’re supporting us,” music therapy junior Kaylee Grettenberger said.

The Council of Graduate Students also passed a resolution Feb. 18 to support the program.

John Gore, a College of Communication Arts and Sciences representative, said during the meeting that the program was beneficial to both the university and the community.

“Losing this program is something regressive for the community,” Gore said.

ASMSU plans to discuss the future of the program with Provost Kim Wilcox.

Share and discuss “Assembly elects interim leader” on social media.