Driver tax necessary if Mich. roads are to be improved

The editorial board brings up many good points in Driver tax illogical way to fix Mich. roads (SN 2/6), such as the argument that raising taxes will only discourage potential businesses from relocating to Michigan. However, the editorial board’s solution to the problem is a widespread public works program.

How exactly does the board want to fund the public program without raising taxes? Unlike the federal government, Michigan does not have the luxury of printing money from thin air.

Therefore, while the premise behind public roads is shaky, and the entire concept is debatable, a gas tax would be the only fair way to increase revenue specifically for roads. If I benefit more from a service than others, I ought to pay more for it. For example, if I eat a steak at a restaurant and someone else eats a hamburger, it would only be fair if I paid more. Why should roads be any different? If I use them more than someone else, it is justifiable that I give more financial compensation. 

While there is never a good time to increase any tax, let alone add a new one, if, as a society, we want to embrace public roads, then this is the most fair way to fund them. It is obvious from the conditions of our roads that the gas tax and other methods we currently have for funding public roads are inadequate.

Eric Awerbuch

philosophy junior

Share and discuss “Driver tax necessary if Mich. roads are to be improved” on social media.