Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Living life to the fullest worthwhile choice

Ursula Zerilli

Some people live for the moment, and some people live to get ahead. I try to do both simultaneously, but sometimes you have to choose.

When I was invited to Greece this summer by a friend, I sighed and sadly refused. Flying to Europe was out of the question considering my poor-student status. Plus, finding a job in journalism is extremely competitive, and now that newspapers are discontinuing everyday products and most TV stations refuse to pay interns for the 40+ hours they work, flying to Europe just didn’t fit in my schedule.

My original plan was one of ambition and long-term benefits. I would find my fourth media-related internship and this one would actually count for college credit, too. Despite the oxymoronic concept of paying the university for work experience, it’s a requirement that I was going to fulfill this summer. I was going to work hard, not get paid, and ultimately succeed in the long run … because that is how it works, right?

The most promising internships I found were unpaid. This was not surprising, but I wasn’t smiling. Still, I knew it would all be worth it after jotting down an awesome reference on my resume.

Again, my girlfriend offered the piece of Grecian cake a few weeks later, and again I shot it down. My mind-set was solid, and prancing around Greece would be a distraction. She did make some good points: I would crash at her grandparents’ and they would love to feed me their authentic food. So I nonchalantly mentioned the never-ending offer to my parents.

In the back of my mind I assumed my parents would laugh and reassure me how this was an impossibility. They would remind me how they have no money and my savings are for important milestones in the future. They would emphasize how my education and career are always prioritized above a once-in-a-lifetime chance to thriftily go backpacking around Europe. Their logical points and overall disapproval would push this silly notion out of my brain.

My father, who barely allowed my acceptance at MSU due to the two-hour drive from home, was entirely entertained with the idea. He even considered calling my aunt who is a flight attendant to see if I would be eligible for international flight deals. My mother didn’t say much to oppose the awesomeness of my possible summer escapade other than how financially painful it could be.

Finding an unpaid internship wouldn’t be financially pleasurable, and I knew I had to take money out of the picture and pretend the dollar is just a thing with no real value. My options were between traveling the world or building my resume.

My own personal shoulder angels popped up: one in a business suit holding money that I may (or may not) make after I graduate, and the other in a bikini being served Saganaki by a beautiful (or ugly) Greek man. Opa.

I continued to chat with friends who plan to study-abroad this summer and found that I have at least a couch to sleep on in at least three different countries. My aunt’s flight hookup will not directly send me to Greece, which means I have to fly to a different country before I can make it to my final destination — which is absolutely perfect.

Working as a journalist is still a possibility, too. Just at a less prestigious news station/paper that will allow a four week absence. Or babysitting will work.

The most common piece of job advice for finding an internship has been networking. Speaking and developing relationships with professionals of a desired field is the best way to find a job. Advisers are telling undergrads that they should learn how to better communicate and understand how their future career works.

This is common sense. Now that there is less money made, less money paid and less jobs in the field, the new way to make it is to hope for the right connections. While internships enhance the chances of making those business friendships, they sometimes serve no purpose other than to look good on paper.

Even if my competitors have more to offer by making good career moves this summer, this does not necessarily hurt my chances, and I have the rest of my life to be professional.

Traveling the world may not look good on my bank statement, but culture and youth abroad during the best months of the year is priceless.

So, perhaps the economist would call my summer an opportunity cost, but I decided that skipping out would be a life experience cost.

Ursula Zerilli is a State News staff writer. Reach her at zerilliu@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Living life to the fullest worthwhile choice” on social media.