New York Post cartoon offensive, inexcusable

There are protesters.

There are talks of a boycott.

There’s blatant racism.

And yet there’s still no apology.

The New York Post still has not apologized for editorial cartoonist Sean Delonas’ cartoon that ran in its Wednesday edition.

The cartoon depicted police officers shooting a chimpanzee that seemingly represents President Barack Obama.

In the cartoon, the officers are saying, “They’ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill,” a clear reference to Obama’s stimulus package.

For those who so boldly declared racism is over with the election of our first black president and that we are in a new era of acceptance and tolerance, let Delonas’ cartoon be the obvious counterpoint.

Delonas and the New York Post have said the chimpanzee was used as a reference to the Connecticut woman who was attacked by a chimpanzee on Monday.

Whatever rationale someone could invent, it would fall short of explaining away the grim reality that the cartoon is nothing short of racist.

Delonas’ drawing has ignited a flame that had not long been cooled in the black community.

With Obama’s election, it seemed racial and ethnic dialogue had been spoken in muted tones.

But Delonas’ image came out screaming.

The Rev. Al Sharpton and other black leaders are organizing a boycott of the New York Post. Others were protesting outside the newspaper’s office Wednesday.

The New York Post has yet to listen although people are being loud.

Whatever judgment — or complete absence of it — occurred in that newsroom must be reviewed.

Editors and Delonas must take responsibility for their horrendous misstep.

It’s one thing for Delonas to be able to explain to his editors what he meant with his cartoon, but if his work doesn’t translate to the public, he has not performed at his job well.

The point of an editorial cartoon is to offer an opinion and provide clarity on a subject either directly or satirically, both of which are muddled in the cartoon.

This is not the first time a publication has erred in the form of racism.

In January 2008, Golfweek’s editor and vice president Dave Seanor was fired for putting a noose on the magazine’s cover in regard to lynching comments about Tiger Woods made by The Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman.

Golfweek acted by firing the person at the very top of their paper. Yet the New York Post hasn’t even written an apology.

Another problem is the two stories the cartoon tries to combine don’t even make sense together.

How Obama and the drug-induced chimpanzee would ever logically fit together is unknown, and certainly it would require a mile-long stretch of the imagination to do so.

Unless this is just pure racism.

Then it makes perfect sense.

Share and discuss “New York Post cartoon offensive, inexcusable” on social media.