Safe roads needed in areas around campus

For newcomers, MSU has a large and confusing campus. It takes time on foot and behind the wheel to become comfortable navigating the terrain and learning what to expect from drivers and pedestrians. After experiencing a few close-call clashes, most become comfortable with the area. Unfortunately, accidents happen, and after two MSU-related deaths on Mount Hope Road within the last three years, it’s time for a change.

Sidewalks and crosswalks were built at the intersection of Mount Hope Road and Farm Lane after a student was killed at the intersection three years ago. Unfortunately, the intersection of Mount Hope and Harrison roads, where visiting scholar Tao Li was killed, has no crosswalks or sidewalks. The addition of a sidewalk and crosswalks on this intersection in the near future is a necessary action to prevent accidents such as Li’s. This tragedy could have been prevented three years ago if, instead of putting a Band-Aid on the cut, the road would have received the necessary stitches.

While not all areas of Mount Hope Road are a hot spot for students traveling to class, it is still part of MSU’s campus and should have proper safety measures that apply to other areas. Advanced walking signals that use automated voices to help direct walkers, such as the ones found on Grand River Avenue, would be beneficial at intersections such as those on Mount Hope.

Instead of spending funds on unnecessary electronic advertisements, such as the one found on Michigan Avenue and Harrison Road, the less-used roads around campus should have the minimal safety inputs. These areas also could use more directional maps or signs, considering the ease of getting lost on campus. For freshmen and visiting students who are not as familiar with the area, it is simple to confuse even the main roads.

MSU has a few commonly used roads, such as Grand River Avenue, Shaw Lane and Farm Lane. But areas such as West Circle and any of the surrounding areas around campus can take time to grow familiar to. If more measures to prevent confusion were made, traveling campus could be more efficient and possibly less dangerous.

If the city of East Lansing receives stimulus money — a decision that was still pending at time of press — the sector of the budget for improving road conditions and safety should focus on creating more sidewalks and crosswalks.

Drivers also should remember that pedestrians always have the right of way in Michigan. It is normal to see students dash across the street, or cars to ignore one of the many stop signs, but the possible consequences are simply not worth it. Even in the more rural areas, where students are less likely to roam, such as Mount Hope Road, there are still areas in use to students and visitors that should be taken into consideration.

Share and discuss “Safe roads needed in areas around campus” on social media.