Monday, April 29, 2024

Student wins spring break trip playing rock, paper, scissors

Animal science junior Jennifer DeVries reacts to news from marketing senior Troy Zitzelsberger that she has won an all-expenses-paid spring break vacation to Panama City Beach, Fla., and a chance to win a $20,000 prize while she is there.

When animal science and preveterinary medicine junior Jennifer DeVries was studying for her economics exam, she thought it would be a normal day of reviewing her notes in the Union.

But being in the right place at the right time helped her win a free spring break trip to Panama City Beach, Fla.

In the Sun Porch on Monday, eight students competed in a rock, paper, scissors championship hosted by Amp Energy.

With only a handful of students showing up at the beginning of the contest, Amp representative and marketing senior Troy Zitzelsberger had to hunt through the Union for a few more participants.

“I was downstairs studying for my economics exam tonight, and a guy came up to me and asked if I had some time to play rock, paper, scissors,” DeVries said.

The students competed against one another in three rounds with student referees at the side of each participant. The first match began and concluded in less than a minute.

After another round of quick-yet-intense play, the competition was reduced to two competitors: DeVries and nutritional sciences junior Mike O’Meara.

“I was analyzing. I watched her strategy, and now I’m ready to take her down,” O’Meara said before his final round against DeVries.

Their faceoff was nothing short of exhilarating. Within the small atmosphere of the competition, the judges and previously defeated players stood as they observed the match.

In the beginning stages of the competition, the participants’ matches consisted of the best two out of three for one round. In the final portion, DeVries and O’Meara faced off in the best two out of three in three rounds.

The first round went to DeVries, giving O’Meara the stress of having to win the second round. Despite this, O’Meara swept the second round.

The third and final round created an intense atmosphere in the room. Everyone watched, leaning in closely, as the two readied themselves for a chance to win the spring break trip.

With one swift motion of her hand in the form of scissors, DeVries defeated O’Meara. She smiled and gasped slightly at the win.

“All my friends will literally tell you that I’m the most unlucky person ever,” she said. “I really don’t win anything ever.”

DeVries will now fly to Panama City Beach during spring break for four nights in a hotel courtesy of Amp.

She also will compete in Amp’s national rock, paper, scissors competition for a chance to win $20,000 toward her tuition.

Share and discuss “Student wins spring break trip playing rock, paper, scissors” on social media.