MSU professor to discuss Mich. economy in lecture

Students and faculty can get a glimpse into Michigan’s economic future Wednesday when economics professor Charles Ballard gives a lecture at Fairchild Theatre.

“Michigan’s Economic Future is Not an Oxymoron: Confessions of an MSU Economist,” is the second installment of ASMSU’s Last Lecture Series. ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

The free lecture will begin at 7 p.m.

“It’s a way to have students and faculty interact in an area that is not a classroom,” said Michael Webber, ASMSU Student Assembly chairperson.

Ballard said his experience with Michigan’s economy makes him suitable to give this lecture.

“Having spent more than half my life studying economics, I’m hoping I can bring insights that are useful for students to think about their own situation,” he said.

Ballard wrote a book, “Michigan’s Economic Future,” in 2006. The book explained how Michigan’s economy has declined since the 1960s and how it can improve.

The economy is an important issue in Michigan, and students might not know much about Michigan’s economic problems, Ballard said.

“I have some ideas for how to ensure a better future for Michigan,” he said. “I plan to put it into context.”

Ballard said talking to students about Michigan’s economy is the same as talking to any citizen.

“I say to students the same that I say for Michigan,” he said. “The things that need to be done for Michigan will be good for
success, generally.”

The idea for the Last Lecture Series began in September 2007, when terminally ill Carnegie Mellon University professor Randy Pausch gave a speech about his life and the pancreatic cancer that would kill him a few months later.

The idea of the “Last Lecture” spread to other universities across the United States and made it to MSU.

ASMSU put on the first Last Lecture in October, when Radiology Department Chairman James Potchen spoke about his more than 50 years in medicine.

“It was popular at other universities,” said Sandte Stanley, Academic Assembly external vice chairperson.

“(We) wanted to put on an event that students would enjoy.”

Ballard’s popularity among students was a key reason
ASMSU chose him to give the lecture, Webber said.

“Dr. Ballard is a popular professor,” he said. “He’s in touch with students and they really enjoy his teaching methods.”

Share and discuss “MSU professor to discuss Mich. economy in lecture” on social media.