Student government decisions ignore important student needs

This week, ASMSU — MSU’s undergraduate student government — voted down a bill in support of tuition freezes by a vote of 7-8 in a disgraceful display of the neglect of their constituents.

One of the most upheld arguments against support of the bill stemmed from the infeasibility of the freeze. I will be the first to acknowledge that, no, a tuition freeze is probably not a realistic policy. However, ASMSU has forgotten that it is the voice of the students they represent and not policy makers.

I endorse the adoption of the ASMSU bill as is, with a zero percent increase. If the student voice is to be heard loudly and effectively, we must represent the foundation of our beliefs. Supporting, for example, a 5 percent capped increase further takes negotiating power from the students.

We need to let the administration and board members know how much of a stake we hold in our own education. Again, this bill would serve as a symbol of undergraduate students’ stance, not as a rough draft of policy for next year.

Representatives also claim they did not have enough information to support the bill.

Besides that blurring line between voice and policy, the representatives seem to have forgotten all of the resources provided for them, including a presentation of the budget by MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon during a biweekly meeting.

President Barack Obama intended the stimulus money to directly relieve students of the financial burden of college, as well as allow more students to afford a better education to form a more educated, and thus more successful, work force.

The university needs to be held accountable for wasteful spending to ensure that students can truly benefit from an education here. Sacrifices must be made and that should begin with the operating budget, not tuition.

Increases in tuition are being supported with hyperbolic increases in Pell Grants. As tuition is increasing much more rapidly than Pell Grant and other aid money, students are falling through the cracks.

I do not pay tuition to MSU. I am simply a student who cares about my peers and is concerned when my friends and family are being taken advantage of. It is time for Simon and the board to set aside the animosity of past federal and state funding and realize that students can’t afford what this wonderful university has to offer.

I urge all students to get in contact with ASMSU representatives to directly communicate with their constituents. It’s time we let them know that enough is enough.

Elizabeth Battiste

general business administration and pre-law freshman and MSU Democrats member

Share and discuss “Student government decisions ignore important student needs” on social media.