Monday, April 29, 2024

Board votes to increase housing by 5.25 percent

Students living in university housing during the 2009-10 year will see an increase of 5.25 percent for room and board rates, the MSU Board of Trustees decided Friday.

The increase will raise the rate for a double room with an unlimited meal plan from $7,026 to $7,395, an increase of $369, according to the university.

The raise will help support renovations for the Brody Complex and sustaining operating funds for emergency situations and the first year experience program.

Vennie Gore, assistant vice president for Housing and Food Services, said rising utility and food costs also contributed to the increase.

“We’re indeed a very good value in the state of Michigan,” Gore said during the meeting. “In our proposal, we’re on the lower end of the spectrum for what our costs are.”

Despite the increase, MSU will still have one of the lowest rates in the Big Ten for 2009-10, with the University of Minnesota, the University of Iowa and the University of Wisconsin having lower rates.

The University of Minnesota’s rate is $3 less than MSU’s, at $7,392 for a double room, according to the Housing and Food Services rate recommendations for 2009-10.

MSU has the fourth-lowest rate of all universities in Michigan, with Oakland University, Saginaw Valley University and Wayne State University having lower rates, according to University Relations.

General business administration and pre-law sophomore Karrin Pond said she expects to see improvements made to residence halls as costs increase.

“It’s already expensive,” she said. “I expect to get something for that money.”

Pond lives in the dorms this year, but will be living off campus in the fall.

Renovations will begin on the Brody Dining Hall in the 2009-10 year, with Emmons Hall closing for renovations for the 2010-11 year. Other halls in the Brody Complex will be closed for construction in the following years.

Operating expenses for the residence halls and university apartments are set to increase about four percent from the 2008-09 levels.

The room and board increase also affects all university apartments. A 5.25 percent increase equates to a roughly $35 a month increase from the 2008-09 rates.

In addition to the increase in room and board rates, the board also discussed a potential tuition increase of 4 to 5 percent for the 2009-10 year.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said during the meeting the university is considering “a very aggressive financial aid package” to help alleviate the stress on students and families. Simon said the university is considering increasing financial aid by about 15 percent.

MSU gave almost $470 million in financial aid during the 2007-08 year, and a little more than $430 million during the 2006-07 year.

“(We) try to be as attentive as possible and as sensitive to the economic circumstances of our students,” Simon said during the meeting Friday.

The board discussed meeting on May 26 to further consider the university budget, but its next meeting date has not been finalized.

Share and discuss “Board votes to increase housing by 5.25 percent” on social media.