Moody throws no-hitter as Spartans sweep doubleheader

Senior pitcher Nolan Moody celebrates after a double play and ending the seventh inning at McLane Baseball Stadium Saturday afternoon against Northwestern.

Photo by Jason Chiou | The State News

Senior pitcher Nolan Moody threw the first pitch in the inaugural game at McLane Baseball Stadium – the MSU baseball team’s new home.

Moody also threw the last pitch of the game before finding himself on the bottom of a bench-clearing dog pile.

Moments before being swarmed by his teammates, the Spartans turned a double play to end the game – thus sealing the deal on Moody’s first ever complete game no-hitter in MSU’s 2-0 victory over Northwestern.

“I thought it was a great honor to throw the first pitch at the new park,” Moody said. “Then to be able to come out and throw the no-hitter, it was just a special day. I will always remember this.”

Moody’s had a perfect game through 7.2 innings and finished with five strikeouts and only two walks.

“Nolan throwing that no hitter was really special,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said.

“It’s the first game in a new park and that’s something we will never forget.”

To make things even better for the Spartans on the afternoon, they won the second game of the doubleheader 9-4 to give the team their first two victories in the Big Ten this season.

“Today was a big confidence boost for us with getting the two wins,” sophomore shortstop Jonathan Roof said.

“Moody just pitched excellent for us and the first game was just a fun game to play in. The atmosphere we had in this stadium was just sweet.”

Although Moody stole the show with his individual performance, he was quick to point out that the no-hitter wouldn’t have been possible without solid defensive play from his teammates.

“This was a team effort,” Moody said. “They played so hard behind me and they wanted it. They were as happy for me as I am.”

Junior right fielder Eli Boike made the first outstanding defensive play for the Spartans in the fifth inning when he completely laid out for a ball in shallow right field.

“We were trying with maximum effort to catch every ball we can to keep the no-hitter alive,” Boike said. “But that was the best college pitching performance I’ve seen in my career. It was really amazing and really special to be a part of.”

Then, in the seventh inning, junior second baseman Chris Roberts dove to his left to field a hard line drive that was hit so hard it took the glove off his hand. But he retrieved his glove, and the ball, before calmly making the throw to first base for the out.

“Nolan just had it all rolling today,” Boss said. “We made a couple great plays for him defensively. When Boike and Roberts made the diving play you could just feel something special was going to happen.”

The only offense of the first game came when Boike blasted a two-out, two-run homer over the right field fence in the sixth inning.

That was all the run support Moody would need.

“I’m just so thrilled to have been able to do this with all of my family here,” the East Lansing native said. “If someone would have told me yesterday that I would throw a no-hitter, I would never have believed them.”

The second game started sourly for the Spartans – with MSU giving up three runs in the first inning.

But the Spartans battled back throughout the game and surged late.

“In the second game we played sloppy but we got some insurance runs late,” Boss said. “We finally put somebody away.”

Sophomore center fielder Brandon Eckerle hit a two-run homer and Roof went 4-for-4 to lead the Spartans to the victory.

“Northwestern put pressure on us offensively early and we didn’t execute,” Boss said. “But to our guys credit we settled into it late. We were able to battle back and swing the bat well.”

The Spartans (10-17 overall, 2-3 Big Ten) will play the final game of the weekend series against Northwestern at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at McLane Stadium.

“Our kids have been dying to play at the new place,” Boss said. “It definitely feels like home. It’s a dream come true to play in a place like this.”

Share and discuss “Moody throws no-hitter as Spartans sweep doubleheader” on social media.