Health officials identify Shaw virus

Norovirus, or the stomach flu, was identified by the Ingham County Health Department on Thursday as the cause of about 30 student illnesses this week, many of which originated in Shaw Hall.

University spokesman Terry Denbow said the diagnosis came during the afternoon Thursday after testing biological samples of some of the students who were admitted to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital.

As of Thursday evening, seven students remained hospitalized at Sparrow, hospital spokeswoman Rose Tantraphol said.

“Nothing has changed in terms of their conditions,” Tantraphol said. “None of the students were ever in serious condition.”

Norovirus is a highly contagious gastrointestinal ailment that causes stomach discomfort, vomiting and diarrhea. Kevin Piggott, a deputy medical examiner at the Ingham County Health Department, said the symptom onset usually occurs 24-48 hours after exposure to the virus and symptoms last about two days.

“It’s primarily considered a person-to-person contact,” Piggott said. “(It’s a) fecal-to-oral route, but a person can contaminate food. You have an ill individual with poor hygiene or who vomits nearby food, and can contaminate the food source, which basically can then disseminate to many others.”

Tantraphol said some of the seven remaining hospitalized students could be released as early as Thursday night. She said through Thursday, 30 students had been admitted, two of which were admitted Wednesday night. Those two were not confirmed to have the virus but did display similar symptoms.

Shaw Hall’s dining area was closed for cleaning crews to decontaminate possibly infected areas Thursday. Piggott said bleach cleaning agents must be used to sanitize infected areas because of the contagious nature of the virus. He said cleaning crews should clean a number of areas.

“It’s not only the food areas, but other areas in which possibly there was contamination, but where other students may have vomited or had other hygiene issues,” he said.

Denbow said he didn’t know how long the dining hall would be closed.

“It remains temporarily closed,” he said.

Piggott said those who have the virus should practice good hygiene, especially washing their hands as well as maintain their fluids.

“They should try to remain isolated from other individuals so that you’re not coming into contact with others,” he said.

Students who are experiencing similar symptoms should contact Olin Health Center at (517) 353-5557.

Share and discuss “Health officials identify Shaw virus” on social media.