Monday, April 29, 2024

Upgrades slated for summer in Owen Hall

Students who planned on living in Owen Graduate Hall during the summer will have to pack their bags and move out as the residence hall undergoes a $10 million face-lift, expected to be completed by Aug. 1.

Owen Graduate Hall, predominantly occupied by graduate and international students, will shut down from May to August as renovations are made to the hall’s lobby and dining areas. Students living in Owen Graduate Hall who planned to stay during the summer will be moved to McDonel Hall during the duration of the renovations.

Vennie Gore, assistant vice president for housing and food services, said renovations will be focused on study areas as well as making the dining area more appealing to international students.

“West Circle buildings were built in the 1930s and our newest building, believe it or not, was in 1967 with Holden,” Gore said. “They’re at a point where they need some work.”

The renovations were approved during a Feb. 13 Board of Trustees meeting.

Bruce Haskell, associate director of MSU’s housing and dining services, said Owen Graduate Hall residents were asked what they wanted during the planning stages of the project.

One of the most prominent demands was for more authentic international food, Haskell said.

“Authenticity is important,” Haskell said. “They don’t trust it if they don’t see it cooked in front of them … We’re going with a strong culinary influence, and that’s important.”

Another addition to the residence hall are lower-level study areas, which will be revamped to accommodate group studying. Seven study pods will be created where groups can conduct group research and work on projects.

Also planned for the lower level is an enhanced community kitchen where students will be able to prepare their own food.

In addition to the dining and community area renovations, the hall also will undergo a safety systems upgrade including a new sprinkler and fire alarm system.

Matt McKune, dining services assistant director, said the new dining area will be similar to The Gallery in Snyder-Philips Hall. Owen Graduate Hall’s dining staff will train in The Gallery during the summer with similar menus and equipment.

“We know we only have a two-week window when this opens,” McKune said. “That’s not enough, so the staff’s going to train in another unit so we’re ready to go when this opens.”

Although the renovations will enhance the hall’s studying and dining areas, some students said they were unsure of whether the changes are necessary.

“It maybe needs renovation because the building looks a little old,” said Simon Perez, an international student studying here for the year, who also lives in Owen Graduate Hall. “But it’s not that it’s too old. If they have the money to do it, then do it. But it’s not like they need it.”

Gore said the renovations are essential in keeping MSU modern and successful.

“We’ve been around for 150 years, and we’re going to be around longer,” he said.

“We want these buildings to be around for another 50 years.”

Share and discuss “Upgrades slated for summer in Owen Hall” on social media.