Health care proposal shows promise for future

State Sen. Tom George, R-Kalamazoo, has introduced a piece of legislation that, if passed, could change how the state and maybe even the country views health care.

In an attempt to help quell the rising cost of insurance, the bill could potentially provide state-funded health care for half of Michigan’s 1.2 million citizens who aren’t insured, according to George. This idea comes at the perfect time for Michiganians.

It’s no secret the health care industry requires serious reorganization. Insurance companies have made treatments and medicine so unaffordable many uninsured residents can’t afford a room at the hospital, let alone medical care. George’s bill does a lot to alleviate this.

The plan, which has been supported by both Republicans and Democrats, provides help for two groups of people that need it most — the uninsured and those with expensive medical bills. A family of two earning between $19,000 to $43,000 a year would be eligible to receive affordable insurance courtesy of the state. Michigan would cover all payments up to $250,000 for medical bills over $25,000 as well.

The legislation would also prevent insurance companies from rejecting clients based on chronic illnesses, as well as stop companies from raising rates if such an illness is discovered.

There seems to be little to disagree with in George’s bill. We support any effort to bring universal health care to Michigan or the U.S., and this is a step in the right direction. At the very least, it starts a dialogue in the state for people to offer their ideas to help cure the medical industry.

That’s not to say there aren’t drawbacks. Even if it is approved by the Michigan Legislature, it may not be the perfect solution for all of health care’s ailments.

The biggest concern, as it always seems to be, is money. Any representative can propose legislation, but one of the biggest reasons bills are passed or defeated are costs. Since this bill is still working its way through the legislative process, it’s unclear how much money would be needed and where that money would be coming from. It’s likely George is hoping to get aid from Michigan’s stimulus funds, but the chances of receiving any are uncertain at best.

That means this program will probably be paid for by taxpayers. Since this plan directly benefits those taxpayers, most would gladly accept that trade-off.

The context in which this proposal came about is also a concern. George has already announced himself as a candidate for governor in the 2010 election, making the timing between this bill and his announcement is a little curious. Is George legitimately concerned with fixing the state’s health care, or is he just trying to garner favor with the public before a gubernatorial run?

If this bill passes, it could possibly change the way other states examine the medical industry. President Barack Obama has said he plans to address the health care situation nationwide, so this plan could be negated by any changes Obama makes.

But Obama will base his choices on what has and has not worked. If this bill effectively provides insurance for many in the state, it’s possible Obama would apply aspects of the plan to his national strategy.

Michigan’s proposal might end up being a stepping stone to health care for every citizen in the country.

Share and discuss “Health care proposal shows promise for future” on social media.