Public deserves to know Sotomayor's positions

While there is still a lot to be decided in Washington, D.C., the U.S. could be on the verge of appointing its first Hispanic justice to the Supreme Court.

President Barack Obama nominated New York appellate Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace outgoing Justice David Souter, which could finally bring change to a court that sorely lacks diversity.

Only four of the 110 justices to serve on the Supreme Court were not white males. If confirmed by Congress, Sotomayor would be the fifth — halfway to double digits after more than 200 years.

Sotomayor’s ethnicity likely was the major factor in Obama’s decision. The president said from the start that he would focus on selecting a minority or female candidate, and Sotomayor satisfies both of those requirements. Objectors have said her candidacy is only a political strategy and Democrats are hoping to garner favor with Hispanic voters. There’s a high likelihood that’s true.

Hispanics largely have been underrepresented in the American government, and Obama is smart to try and appeal to them. Most Hispanics have not sided with one party or the other and their demographic is considered to be up for grabs. Obama sees an opportunity and he’s making the most of it.

Any Republicans looking to block Sotomayor’s approval also will find themselves in a tough position. Standing up against her could come off as a lack of sympathy for Hispanics or women, which are two groups of voters the party would love to have next election. There’s a possibility opposers might just sit this one out.

Politics isn’t the best thing to base a candidate on, but unfortunately that’s how the system operates. No Supreme Court appointment is without political motives. Major changes in the country don’t often occur in Congress; they occur in the judicial system. The biggest achievements of the civil rights movement didn’t come from bills and letters to politicians — they came from court cases. With this much at stake, choosing the wrong person could seriously damage a party’s key issues.

Sotomayor hasn’t seen any major court cases about abortion, capital punishment, national security or gay rights, and a lot of her opinions are still uncertain. We don’t fault Sotomayor for this; she can only preside over the cases given to her. However, before she is seated, we would like to know — we deserve to know — what these stances are. That’s what the Senate confirmation is for. Unfortunately, the reality of the hearings is such that she’ll likely tell senators what they want to hear.

But what is known about Sotomayor is that she is a diligent worker. Almost all of her cases show extensive research and support for her rulings, which is a great asset for a Supreme Court justice. Her ability to make thorough decisions will serve her well if she is appointed.

External concerns such as politics and party image will cloud her questioning just like any other potential judge. Remember, these judges are people — they posses the same inherent biases that every other person has. But Sotomayor has shown she can put those beliefs aside and judge based on what’s best for the country.

Share and discuss “Public deserves to know Sotomayor's positions” on social media.