Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Granholm proposes new library

MSU could become a partner in the creation of a new state center aimed at promoting a knowledge-based economy through technology, entrepreneurship and science.

Proposed Monday by Gov. Jennifer Granholm, the Michigan Center for Innovation and Reinvention (MCIR) would replace the Michigan Library and Historical Center in Lansing. Under a plan submitted by MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon, state library holdings would be moved to the MSU Libraries and the MSU Museum would be consolidated with the State Historical Museum as part of the new center.

The proposal of the center follows an executive order issued Monday by Granholm that abolished the state’s Department of History, Arts and Libraries to balance the state’s budget. It is projected to save $2 million annually. The MCIR would serve as a “visible symbol” of the future of Michigan, Simon said in a letter to Granholm.

“We appreciate the opportunity to share in developing a vision and ‘road map’ for a modern facility that would serve the needs of a modern Michigan,” the letter said.

State librarian Nancy Robertson said in an e-mail that although it is too early to determine the effects of the abolishment, library staff look forward to finding the best way to continue providing library services.

“The Library of Michigan has, since its inception in 1828, provided great benefit to residents, libraries and government employees, and we plan to build on that record of service,” she said in the e-mail.

A partnership between MSU, the city of Lansing and the state in the creation of the MCIR could optimize the use of the Michigan Library’s facilities, Granholm spokeswoman Liz Boyd said.

“President Simon and her team have laid out a very exciting vision,” she said. “Her vision is really a starting point for us to look at how can we maximize the use of that center in ways that would offer citizens new opportunities.”

Benefits of the center would include preparing Michigan’s citizens for success in the knowledge economy, encouraging achievement and improving the state’s K-12 education system, Simon said in the letter. The vision of the center is future-oriented and centered around the benefits of collaboration, university spokesman Terry Denbow said.

“This is all about transformation of the region and of the state and using the collective clout of the state’s educational and cultural institutions to be part of that transformation,” he said.

Share and discuss “Granholm proposes new library” on social media.