New company helps clients use Internet

When Julielyn Gibbons was a child struggling with Crohn’s disease, she found her only way to communicate with the rest of the world was through her computer.

“I looked at the Internet as my only way to do anything,” Gibbons said.

“My mind has just developed like that. I look at everything going, ‘How can we do this online?’”

After attending MSU for four years and being a part of ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, Gibbons has started her own business, i3 Strategies, which is focused on Internet communication.

Located in the East Lansing Technology Innovation Center, 325 E. Grand River Ave., Gibbons helps clients strategize how to use the Internet and social networking Web sites to their benefit. Some of her clientele include nonprofit organizations and campaigning politicians.

“I help them do whatever they’re trying to do, whether it’s market a new program, or if it’s just general outreach to the public,” she said. “I put together a strategy that all kind of work together through the greater goal.”

Gibbons works closely with Cliff Lampe, an MSU professor of telecommunication, information studies and media, whose research deals with social networking. Lampe said he sees social media expanding to more companies and organizations in the future.

“My own sense is that people, especially nonprofits and campaigns, are struggling with all of the options that social media can give them,” Lampe said.

“(Gibbons) is on the cutting edge of a service that a lot of people are going to find that they need.”

Director of Alumni Career Services John Hill also works with Gibbons, traveling with her around Michigan to give talks about how to use social media. Being from MSU, both Gibbons and Hill have the advantage of affiliation when it comes to networking through the Internet.

“When you’re looking at an opportunity to find clients, to find employees, you often look towards affiliation,” Hill said. “They’ve become a very good business tool, a good networking tool.”

Gibbons said she wanted to start her business in her home state of Michigan because she feels small start-up companies such as hers can make Michigan grow.

“I think the Mid-Michigan area is a really ripe area for small business growth,” she said.

Share and discuss “New company helps clients use Internet” on social media.