Bill could ban texting while driving

To some, texting while driving is a skill learned by precariously typing a message on a cell phone while steering, but lawmakers are trying to put the brakes on this practice with a bill to ban texting while driving.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., introduced the legislation July 29 to ban all texting or e-mailing in motor vehicles across the country and failure to comply would mean a loss of federal highway funds for states.

Schumer was joined by U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., and U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., in the introduction of the legislation.

A study performed by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, released July 27, reported the risk of crashing or being involved in a near crash was about 23 times higher while text messaging.

“Studies have shown over and over that texting while driving is dangerous and it’s time to take action to prevent the tragic accidents that result from this activity,” Schumer said in a statement. “With this new legislation, drivers will finally be held responsible for dangerous behavior that puts the public at risk.”

This type of legislation might spark action on similar state legislation, state Rep. Lee Gonzales, D-Flint Township, said.

Gonzales introduced a state House bill in February that would ban talking on cell phones and texting while driving in Michigan.

“It’s got to be a one-two punch,” he said. “If we can get some momentum at the national level and at the state level, I think … they know we shouldn’t be doing certain things while we’re driving.”

Enforcement of the legislation might be difficult, state Rep. Wayne Schmidt, R-Traverse City, said.

“That’s what the question comes down to is how do you truly enforce this?” he said. “If we see continuing trends of accidents caused by texting or using cell phones … then we might have to look at further measures.”

The Michigan State Police, or MSP, declined to comment on federal legislation but said texting while driving is not supported at the state level.

“To text requires your hands, your eyes and your attention, all of which should be focused on driving,” MSP spokeswoman Melody Kindraka said.

It might be difficult for law enforcement officers to determine whether someone has been texting behind the wheel and effective enforcement options are being explored at the federal level, said Jonathan Adkins, spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association.

“It’s difficult to tell if somebody’s been texting someone; it’s also difficult to get convictions,” he said.

Students said the legislation might not be taken seriously.

“I think it’s probably a good idea,” said Kristen Twedt, a veterinary medicine graduate student. “It will probably bring more awareness, I’m not sure whether people would take it as a precaution or not.”

A ban at the state and federal level might even save lives, Gonzales said.

“Life is precious and I think we should try to do things that make our lives safer and more productive,” he said.

Share and discuss “Bill could ban texting while driving” on social media.