Campus experiences 1st assault cases of year

MSU police have one person in custody and are searching for another after two on-campus assaults occurred within 24 hours of each other, raising concern among students.

Student receives minor injuries after assault

Police continue investigation into an assault and battery that occurred at about 8:15 p.m. Wednesday near the Natural Sciences Building, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

A 20-year-old female student told police she was walking from a class in Berkey Hall toward the Natural Sciences Building when an unknown man grabbed her and tried to remove her shirt, Taylor said. She said she tried to fight her assailant off, but was knocked to the ground after he punched her in the face.

The suspect then ran in an unknown direction, leaving the student on the ground to call a friend, who drove her to her off-campus home and called police.

The student received medical attention for minor injuries, consisting of bruising to the left side of her face. She described the suspect as a 6-foot-tall man of unknown race, dressed in dark, baggy clothing and said she did not believe weapons were involved in the incident.

The assault was the first of the school year, Taylor said.

Man arrested after pulling knife on employee

An 18-year-old East Lansing man who threatened an MSU employee with a two-inch serrated knife following a minor car accident was arrested 10 minutes later on counts of felonious assault, Taylor said.

The suspect, a student at Lansing Community College, became angry and confronted the employee after he accidentally backed his vehicle into the suspect’s vehicle outside of Akers Hall. The student removed the knife from his pocket and opened it as a witness yelled at him to put it away.

He drove away but was captured by police outside East McDonel Hall based on a witness’ description of the car and provision of license plate numbers.

No medical injuries were sustained by the employee, police said. The suspect, who admitted to pulling the knife after being stopped by police, is being held at the Ingham County Sheriff’s Department.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday for felonious assault, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without a license.

The efficiency of the arrest is an example of the success of communities working in cohorts with police, Taylor said.

Student reaction

The incident has left some students to reconsider campus safety and remember to take measures to stay safe.

Hospitality sophomore Lauren Keyandwy didn’t used to carry pepper spray, but says she will now.

“I never really think it will happen to me,” she said.

Journalism sophomore Annie Cook said the incidents signaled students should make an effort to walk in groups and be aware of surroundings.

“It’s scary people do this for no apparent reason,” she said.

Share and discuss “Campus experiences 1st assault cases of year” on social media.