Sunday, April 28, 2024

Council seeks back taxes on City Center II

The East Lansing City Council said its decision to grant a fifth financial extension for City Center II rests on the developer’s ability to pay off delinquent taxes and associated fees before Oct. 6.

Mayor Vic Loomis said at Tuesday’s City Council meeting at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road, the vote is contingent on whether Strathmore Development Company is able to pay off its delinquent taxes and any fees associated with the late payments before council meets to vote on the extension next Tuesday.

Strathmore currently owes about $140,000 to Ingham County for property taxes.

Loomis said the council would not necessarily vote down the extension if the taxes are not paid but could vote to defer the decision to a later date.

City Attorney Dennis McGinty said Strathmore has told city officials the taxes will be paid before the Oct. 6 meeting.

“We are assured that the taxes will be paid before the date the council has to have a vote on the final extension request,” McGinty said

The extension would give Strathmore until Dec. 17 to submit a financial plan. That also is the day Strathmore’s sight plan and special permit agreements with the city will expire. If Strathmore is able to make some progress on the actual site, these plans will not have to be renewed, City Manager Ted Staton said.

Strathmore has had significant struggles maintaining financing for the $116.4 million City Center II project, including the delinquent property taxes and two temporary foreclosures earlier this summer on seven of the properties slated for the project.

Strathmore announced it had reached an agreement with its lender, Huntington National Bank, on Sept. 16, one day before the bank was scheduled to sell the properties at public auction.

Strathmore’s General Counsel Tom Eckhardt attended the meeting with Strathmore’s Director of Engineering Mike Tracy. Strathmore President Scott Chappelle was out of the state on business.

Eckhardt declined to comment on the terms of Strathmore’s agreement with Huntington, saying the only information he could give was that an agreement had been reached and the foreclosure sale was canceled.

Both Loomis and Staton said they received confirmation from Strathmore and Huntington officials that the deal had been reached. However, both said they had not seen written documentation outlining the deal.

“The city is not party to that transaction,” Staton said. “Because we’re not party to the transaction, we would not typically be notified.”

Share and discuss “Council seeks back taxes on City Center II” on social media.