Moratorium placed on East Lansing cabs

East Lansing resident Kevin Stinson, owner of DD’s Downtown Taxi, stands outside and talks to one of his drivers on Albert Avenue. 

After problems with congestion, city officials are re-examining the need for taxi cabs in downtown East Lansing.

A report made by East Lansing Police Officer Adrian Ojerio and Deputy Chief Juli Liebler raised red flags with City Clerk Nicole Evans about the amount of congestion because of taxis. Evans found that 100 licenses had been issued for cabs, and at the Aug. 12 City Council meeting, the council granted seven more licenses.

On Aug. 25, the council voted to place a 90-day moratorium on new licenses, allowing city officials and cab companies time to sort out the situation.

“This is just an opportunity for the city to come into a partnership with our current licensees to come together and solve a common dilemma,” Evans said.

“It’s an issue that has been coming up for some time and it’s peaked for the moment.”

Liebler said her report from officers working the midnight shift outlined an increase in cabs in the area between M.A.C. Avenue, Ann Street and Abbot Road.

“The (issues are) the parking, where they park and stand their vehicles and (they are) stopping the roadway to pick up a fare, and the traffic congestion,” Liebler said.

Owners of cab companies have come together to form a coalition to work with the East Lansing City Council and Evans on a solution to the problem.

Julie Voeller, one of the owners of Shaggin’ Wagon Taxi, said it’s not an issue of cab companies not getting along, but an issue of not enough fares.

The coalition includes six companies that hold 40 of the vehicles operating out of East Lansing. Members of the coalition hope to keep an open and friendly relationship with the council to fix the problem before November, when the 90 days will have passed.

“We support each other; we wish each other well,” she said. “The tsunami is coming, the river is full. There are too many animals and not enough water to drink.”

Cab companies agree with the City Council that the high number of cabs is an issue in the summer, but with students back in East Lansing, they feel they have just enough for business.

“It puts 107 taxis in East Lansing,” said Kevin Stinson, co-owner of DD’s Downtown Taxi. “That is a lot of taxis, especially in the summer months. What happens is when you have those taxis and the students go home, we lose half of our customers and we have nothing left to do except fight for the fare.”

Some students, such as hospitality business freshman Tracy McKellar, prefer walking. But she said in the winter months she might consider using cabs more often.

“(My friends and I) tried calling a cab (this weekend), but we only tried once,” she said. “We walked, but when it gets colder I’m not going to want to walk all the time.”

Stinson’s company also is a member of the coalition, and he said he’s spoken to City Council about the future of cab companies operating in the downtown.

Voeller and Stinson said a downside to the moratorium is the clause that will not allow vehicles to be replaced.

If a vehicle breaks down and can no longer be used, the licenses cannot be transferred to a new vehicle.

However, Evans said the issue should be resolved in the 90-day period and city officials will continue to work with the companies to come to a solution fit for everyone.

“They’re the business licensees, so they’re obviously affected by the ordinance changes and the moratorium,” Evans said.

“Having their input is going to prove invaluable.”

Share and discuss “Moratorium placed on East Lansing cabs” on social media.