Remnants of MSU's 1st building found

Despite its collapse in 1918, College Hall — MSU’s first building — might
not have taught its last lesson.

Last Thursday, before sidewalk construction could begin near Beaumont Tower, the MSU Department of Anthropology performed a routine excavation done on all sites where construction is planned.

The excavations are precautionary measures to ensure historical remnants on campus are not destroyed.

When the anthropologists began their excavation last week, one such artifact was found, in the form of foundations to one of America’s first buildings for the teaching of agriculture, College Hall.

Although Beaumont Tower was constructed in memory of College Hall, the find was still a surprise, said Terry Brock, an anthropology graduate student who helped make the historic find.

“We weren’t entirely sure if there were any remnants of the building … there or not,” Brock said.

Brock and a team of six graduate and undergraduate anthropology students found seven feet of the northeast corner of College Hall’s foundation after the sidewalk above it was demolished.

By Friday, the team was able to confirm the uncovered stones held together by mortar were part of the original structure built in 1856.

Lynne Goldstein, professor of anthropology and the director of the Campus Archeology Program, said the department is considering using the College Hall site for an archeology field school next summer.

The department does a field school every summer in a variety of locations to give students hands-on experience.

The field program has taken place at MSU prior to this, and Goldstein said excavating College Hall would be a good opportunity to have it on campus again.

“The advantage is that there are a number of students (who) for a variety of reasons can’t leave MSU in the summer,” Goldstein said. “This would be an opportunity for them to get experience doing archeology.”

In the summer of 2005 the field school was held at MSU to excavate Saints’ Rest,
the first student dormitory on campus, located on West Circle Drive next to the where the MSU Museum is now located.

Anthropology and professional writing senior Michael Babbish said he’d be interested in participating in an excavation of College Hall if it becomes a possibility.

“I’m glad they’re making an effort to look at our history which is rich and vibrant,” Babbish said,

“The thing I really like about the (anthropology) program is how they go out and have digs … it really gives the students an opportunity for real experience.”

Share and discuss “Remnants of MSU's 1st building found” on social media.