ISO celebrates Diwali, brings students together

Get blessed with a tilak and see some of the Indian Student Organizations’ games at their Diwali celebration Sunday night. ISO executive board member Parth Dave, a microbiology graduate student, explains the significance of the holiday as well as some of the traditions b

As soon as students and faculty walked into the Indian Student Organization’s Diwali celebration Sunday, the group made sure to make them feel that they were a part of the Indian culture.

Members of the group were giving people tilaks, which are blessings of red herbs and spices placed on the forehead, the president of ISO and a visiting research associate in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shipra Gupta, said.

The blessing, Gupta said, is a reminder that God always is with us.

“Each of us has a God inside of us,” she said. “We give respect to each other in this way.”

Diwali, which also is known as the festival of lights, is a national holiday in India and is the biggest day on the Hindu calendar. Diwali is a centuries-old celebration that glorifies good over evil, Gupta said.

“It’s about coming and loving each other,” Gupta said. “It’s giving a harmony to all of society.”

The battle between good and evil is how the holiday became called the festival of lights, said Parth Dave, a microbiology graduate student and a chair on the ISO executive board. The candles and firecrackers represent purity, and by lighting as many as possible, people can ward off the evil around them, he said.

“It’s the illumination of light over darkness, because that’s what the demons represent,” he said. “We try to shed light over the rest of the world.”

Chemistry graduate student Arvind Jaganathan grew up in India and said ISO’s celebration at MSU reminded him of life at home.

“It’s a big thing back home,” Jaganathan said. “It’s probably the one festival where you see people from every part of the country celebrate. It’s nice to know that people who live in the U.S. want to celebrate Diwali.”

The holiday was celebrated internationally on Oct. 17, but ISO instead held its celebration this weekend. Diwali comes three days before the Indian new year, so people can celebrate the good parts of life before another year, Dave said.

“You want to start the new year hoping for the best,” Dave said. “Everyone shuts down (businesses) and celebrates the year that went by, hoping that the next year will bring them just as much luck, if not more.”

Share and discuss “ISO celebrates Diwali, brings students together” on social media.