Saturday, May 4, 2024

After jail release, instructor remains on paid leave

Higuchi

An MSU instructor and resident who faces charges for allegedly having sex with a 13-year-old girl remains suspended with pay after being released Thursday morning from Ingham County Jail.

Takashi Higuchi, a 35-year-old Japanese citizen and instructor and resident in the College of Veterinary Medicine, posted a $10,000 bond and was released from jail under several restrictions, which include surrendering his passport and requiring court consent to change residences.

Higuchi is charged with third degree criminal sexual conduct, a charge carrying a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

After being arrested Oct. 12 and arraigned Oct. 15, Higuchi originally faced three counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of kidnapping. The charges stemmed from an Oct. 10 incident during which Higuchi reportedly brought a 13-year-old girl he had met through an Internet dating site, passion.com, to his East Lansing apartment. The two reportedly had sex.

Those charges would have mandated life in prison, but Ball dropped the kidnapping charge in a Nov. 9 hearing because no form of restraint appeared to have been used and many details of the incident were unknown.

The university made the decision Oct. 16 — 31 days ago — to suspend Higuchi with pay for 30 days pending further action. Despite meeting bond and being released from jail, Higuchi has not returned to work at MSU, university spokesman Jason Cody said.

Such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, with input from the general counsel’s office and the department that employs an individual, Cody said.

“He is not on campus and is not working at MSU during this time,” Cody said.

Higuchi’s suspension is indefinite until the case is resolved, Cody said.

But there is no time line for how long that might take. Higuchi waived his Nov. 18 arraignment and no other appearances have been scheduled. Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III said it is impossible to estimate when his trial will be complete, and the process likely will take longer because Higuchi has been released from jail.

Trials for suspects who are in jail must begin within 180 days, but once a suspect has been released, there is no deadline, Dunnings said.

Cody said Sunday he does not know whether there is a limit to the number of days an employee can be suspended with pay.

Higuchi could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Higuchi’s attorney, Joan Morgan, said in court Nov. 9 she hoped Higuchi would be able to return to work, where he has the support of many co-workers who have vouched for his good character.

Morgan said Friday that Higuchi is grateful the court issued a bond. She did not know whether he would be able to complete his residency in July, as he originally had planned.

“I know he’s hoping to return to work,” Morgan said.

Share and discuss “After jail release, instructor remains on paid leave” on social media.