Concern for preservation of MSU classics department triggers 1,500-signature petition

For E. Dean Detrich, the classical studies major, which is on the university’s chopping block, makes up the heart of MSU.

Without it, the university’s image would not be the same, said Detrich, a retired faculty member from the Department of French, Classics and Italian.

“If it’s a university, it has a classics department, otherwise it’s the Michigan State community college. It’s just becoming a trade school,” he said. “Don’t pretend to be a university if you don’t, in fact, offer what a university offers.”

Concerns MSU has lost its way are running high among classical studies faculty members and students are worried about the undergraduate major’s elimination. Classical studies offers a range of courses such as those on Greek and Latin languages and courses on ancient civilizations.

The possible discontinuance of the undergraduate major in the College of Arts and Letters was announced at last month’s MSU Board of Trustees meeting.

The major was part of recommendations to deal with shrinking funds while supporting activities that enhance the university’s future, according to MSU’s Shaping the Future Web site. The university must confront a $50 million, or 15 to 20 percent, reduction in its operating budget during the next three years.

Wm. Blake Tyrrell, a distinguished professor of classics, said claims the cut would save the university money are baseless.

“As far as I’m concerned, the university has lost its way,” he said. “It’s said to be a budgetary thing, and there’s no way (MSU is) going to save any money.”

MSU Provost Kim Wilcox, who is overseeing the cuts, could not be reached for comment.

John Rauk, associate professor of classics, said MSU’s image would change without the program.

“We would be the only school in the Big Ten that does not have classical studies,” he said. “It would be a clear contradiction of the image of MSU as a pioneer land grant institution.”

The major’s three faculty members could be teaching in other departments, Rauk said.

“We’ve been told that our faculty would be assigned full-time to teach Integrative Arts and Humanities,” he said. “That type of assignment may not allow us to reach the audience that we reach now.”

Classical studies senior Stephanie Senneker said the possible program cut would be detrimental to current students in the major and future students who might be interested in it.

“As a student, I think it’s a grave mistake to cut classics from the offering here at MSU,” she said.

Classical studies has averaged 24 majors per year for the past three years, Rauk said. Out of that average, the program has had six majors graduate each year for the past two years, he said.

“These may be small absolute numbers, but very healthy when compared to the number of faculty in the program,” Rauk said.

A petition to save the program has more than 1,500 signatures, he said.

“I hope that sends a message to the administration that classics is relevant to a large audience,” Rauk said.

Share and discuss “Concern for preservation of MSU classics department triggers 1,500-signature petition” on social media.